Time tracking for personal productivity

What’s up my fellow forumites!

There’s a billion time-tracking software’s out there and as far as I can tell almost all of it is for employees and simply to track total hours, much less about the content of those hours.

Does anyone know if “big timers” like B.Gates, M.Zuckerburg, L.Page, E.Musk, etc. track their time usage everyday so they can look back and see what they are spending their time on exactly? If so what software/apps are they using? I imagine people like them or any Founder or CEO might have such variability that it might not allow for granular time tracking but nevertheless I’m curious and my Google searches aren’t yielding any solid answers! :frowning:

1 Like

Hi @Sam_Leahey :wave:t3:Just in case you haven’t had a look at it yet, here are some time tracking app officially compatible with Asana: Asana Apps and Integrations • Asana :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I’m familiar with those. I’m more so wondering if people use it for themselves for personal productivity and not for compensation purposes. Do you track your personal or professional time @Marie?

1 Like

@Sam_Leahey, If you haven’t yet seen them, I think @Kaitie (hi!) did this for herself using two approaches (both with graphical output) and wrote them up. See the thread starting with the post below, but scroll (quite a bit) to see her 3 or 4 follow-up posts too, and mentions of Asana Academy course on this.

Hope it helps!

Larry Berger
Asana2Go & Asana Certified Pro consultant at Trilogi Software

1 Like

I’m not a big timer, but I have tried tracking my time in Asana manually using custom fields for my own personal records and evaluation.

I’m a fan of the pomodoro technique so I tried to work that in with sprint custom fields. What’s most important to me is tracking how much time I spend on what type of work and whether it was an anticipated task or unexpected or raised in priority.

Don’t know if that’s what you were looking for, but there it is. :slight_smile:

1 Like

GREAT responses everyone!!! That long thread you posted @lpb was especially helpful I’ve got 3 softwares to check out now:

#CantWait
#MakingMoves
#AllDayEveryday
#TimeTrackingForLife

2 Likes

Hi @Sam_Leahey! I don’t track my time at Asana but I know some people do! @Kaitie does that really well; I was about to share a thread she created, but looks like @lpb was faster than me :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing those posts, @lpb.

And I’m happy to geek out about personal productivity time tracking with you anytime @Sam_Leahey. Feel free to message me if you want to connect to discuss more.

2 Likes

Most of my time I track into one task - “General tasks” and classify it using subtasks.

If I forget what else I was working on (today/yesterday/this week), I have a special pre-saved report in Asana that shows all tasks in which there was my activity, so I can quickly time track them.