"Tab+N" our new shortcut to create Sections

Hi Marie, my colleagues and I find the new tab N function a bit of a nuisance, and would like to pass on feedback/a request to bring back the semicolon functionality as it was much easier to use. It would help a ton if you can please allow both tab n and semi colons to be the section shortcuts or revert back to semicolons. Thanks!

Ah, I see. Sorry, I didn’t quite understand the knock-on effect. On balance, it does seem to be a little bit half-baked at the moment.

Hi @Joanna_Ng and thank you so much for taking the time to reach out and share your feedback with us. If you haven’t yet, I would recommend checking out this post in which my colleague explains why we needed to make this change. Rest ensured that we’re keeping a close eye on this thread and will make sure to share your feedback with our Product Team!

I’m really getting tired of al the bad changes that Asana is pushing trough the last year. For instance the Project tabs pushing under the description, removing the dashboard and switch it to an expensive Portofolios, moving my tasks/inbox from the top to the menu, hiding the ‘tag’ button behind a menu and now removing the possibility to use colon to create a section.

All the changes, as this one, are counter productive. I really don’t understand Asana any more. I use Asana very, very, very much! So I need every possibility to create things quickly, like use of the colon.

But as always we can shout out lout: bring back the colon possibility, but I’ve seen what Asana did with the other posts: nothing! Sorry to be so negative, but that is just how I feel about Asana right now…

My best understanding from Community posts as to the issues and statuses associated with this change.

• No feature to add a section for the mobile app.
    • Being worked on currently.
  • No longer able to switch between a Task and a Section and vice versa, by using a colon.
    • Unlikely to change due to Sections now being a different type of object from a Task.
  • No longer able to create Sections by cutting and pasting a list into a Project.
    • I don’t know if this is being considered.
  • You have to create a Subtask before you can create a Subtask Section.
    • I don’t know if this is being considered.

I really really don’t like the tab+n to make new sections. PLEASE bring back the colon.

We used to be able to Duplicate a template ‘Section’, remove the colon and therefore create a new task with all of the appropriate information.
This change has affected how my department runs day to day very negatively. All we require is a way to change a ‘section’ back into a task if required (i.e. by removing the colon).
I’m nervous I’m creating an enormous amount of work for my future self by creating multiple ‘sections’ that I need to be tasks down the track here is a solution isn’t provided shortly.

@Marie Along with many others I’ve been waiting for changes to the Sections feature in Asana. Other than a way to view a separation of groups of tasks I really didn’t/don’t feel that it adds any other value.

One of the main flaws, in my opinion, is that a Section behaves exactly like a Task, with the same options. I would really like to see Sections gain their own set of features, or at least remove the Task options when a Task becomes a Section.

Onto the latest change of deprecating the : function to add a section in favour of TAB + N: this really doesn’t bother me, although from a UX perspective, moving from a single character input to a TAB function is a bit counterintuitive (perhaps this is in prep for a bigger change).

BUT, what I do have a problem with is:

1. Coping a list of tasks (with sections) from one place to another now no longer retains the sections - Asana just sees the old Sections as tasks with a colon!

2. Sometimes, when I use TAB + N, it adds the section at the bottom of the task list, and then I need to move it around.

Overall I don’t think this latest change has delivered any benefit, and it may have been worth waiting until whatever additional changes were ready before rolling this out.

Using colon to make a section is not working anymore

Hi @Paul_Reich and thank you so much for your feedback! In order to further develop Sections and other features in Asana, we had to consolidate how Sections (and Columns) work in Asana (you can learn more about it in this post form my colleague). This is just the first step and we hope to do a lot more in the future! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your idea with us; we’ll definitely keep them in mind for future improvements! If you haven’t already, I would highly recommend add your vote to this thread: Ability to copy sections including all tasks in that section

I’m just catching up to these posts and I too am a bit frustrated with the change. It has haulted the way I process our records here. With so many of us using the features this way (sections to tasks and tasks to sections) WHY is it changing? You can’t just completely destroy the way something was working and leave people here to suddenly have to fix what is broken themselves. Might need to look for a different product at this point.

Does anyone has any idea how to list sections via Advanced Search? Entering the name of section in the advanced search does not give any results though such sections exists.

Feeling the same way right now. How do you so drastically change a product without any warning to the user? This has created such issues about the way our company was managing the files we were using this for. May be time to shop for something different. They don’t seem to listen to the users.

Hi @Dawn_Banfield and thanks for writing in.

First of all, my sincere apologies for the trouble; while we don’t reply to this thread on a 1:1 basis, we do keep a close eye on this topic, and reading your comment, I can appreciate why this change has been painful for you and your team. If you haven’t yet, I’d recommend taking a look at this post from my colleague, which outlines why we have made this change. I’m aware this is not going to solve your issue, but it will hopefully give you some context to understand why we’ve made this decision.

Again, so sorry for the trouble here, and thanks for taking the time to tell us in detail how this change is affecting your team; we’ll make sure to escalate it to our Product Team along with other comments.

It seems I am not alone in the dislike for this change. Many of us seem to want this changed back, ASAP. Why would your company not give it’s customers what they want?

Is in not possible for you to have a different product available for those that want this change, and leave this product alone, for those of us who use it as it is?

Or, at the least, come up with a workable solution for those of us who have been left floundering around to try to solve this on our own. This is not very good customer service.

Thanks

I just wanted to take a moment to thank @Marie, @Joe_Trollo, and @Matt_Bramlage for continuing to support the community through this change as effective change agents. Change is hard, and this particular change is more uncomfortable, even painful, to many that have established workflows with feature dependancies. I’m convinced that “the juice is worth the squeeze” to enable features many of us have been asking for for a long time now. Also, a big “thank you” too to those community members (I’m looking at you @Vince_Mustachio and @lpb) that have clearly outlined areas of opportunity. Keep up the great work everyone! I appreciate your efforts on this.

1. I hope they are looking at this one as well.
  2. I don’t have the change yet. Could it be the new Section shows up lower in the list, because now that Tasks belong to a Section. A new Section is created below an existing Section and it’s group of Tasks so as not to split up an existing group of Tasks in an existing Section?

Right, Vince - according to the Asana folks, a new section should always be created at the bottom of the current section, for the reason you say. Here’s the explanation:

Jumping in on this thread as my other thread has been merged in here.

My main issue is that I sometimes put subtasks on a header, then ‘un-make’ the header into a normal task to complete it. It might not be a normal functionality, but the inability to ‘un-make’ a header back into a task is a substantial issue that now impacts major sections of projects I have built. This needs a fix ASAP.

Can a note about Tab+N be added to the documentation please? I might be missing it but I don’t see anything about the new shortcut in either of these pages:

Hi @Jeremy_Tarpley :wave:t3: We’ll make sure to update our Guide as soon as this update is rolled out to 100% of our users :slight_smile:

Can't Create Sections