Subtask Inherit due date from parent task

Hi @Regina_Ho,

Just FYI, this capability is available in our Flowsana integration. It supports this ability in a few ways: If you want to be adding new subtasks as the result of a rule trigger, our Add subtasks rule action allows the subtasks to be set with dates relative to the parent task’s due date during their creation. For existing tasks/subtasks with dates, the “Treat subtasks as dependents” option of the Auto-Adjust Workflow is most relevant. (And these two features can be used in combination with each other, to automate subtask dates both on creation and when the parent is updated.)

Has there been any progress on this? I just started using Asana and I have the same issue. Quite frustrating as I will need to use subtasks heavily.

I’m concerned by the inaction on Asana’s part here. It’s shocking that after nearly 5 years the only substantive progress has been achieved by what appears to be a third-party applet for $2.99 per user per month (yikes!). These aren’t niche edge-cases being discussed, these are common sense capabilities that one should expect from a service touting itself with automation as a “key feature”. It’s hard not to be cynical towards Asana’s development when one has to be upsold in order to boast the base functionality of Trello or Microsoft Planner.

2 Likes

+1 for subtasks inheriting dates from Parent tasks. Seems illogical this would be any other way

Plus one. This is a giant, unfortunate limitation with Asana, and one of the reasons why I am considering a switch to Monday. Monday has checklists and tables within tasks… Asana has neither checklists nor linked due dates for subtasks. This is a critical weakness of the parent/subtask structure, and it’s disappointing that this has been requested by the user base for years with no change.

@Rebecca_McGrath Looks like Asana is probably losing people because of the messy, uncoordinated sub-tasking system.

+1 vote

1 Like

When is this functionality coming? It sounds like a necessary option.

Hi @Joanna_Mazurek and welcome to the forum,

FYI Asana (like many of its competitors) doesn’t publish a public roadmap or comment on potential features, so there’s no way to know if/when it might be coming.

+1 Vote

I think i have found a workaround which is set a trigger with 0 days based on the due date of the parent task if there are automated subtasks. I did a test and worked. Wondering if there is another workaround.

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 13.02.18

3 Likes