Sub-tasks under task templates - appearing on user's project list if assigned

I’m wondering if there’s a way to have sub-tasks under a task template be true sub-task templates, in that if they’re assigned within the template, I don’t want them to show up on a user’s project list (since it’s a template).

For example:

I have Task Template #1, with two sub-tasks under it. For the parent task, I have that set to a specific assignee, and the parent task doesn’t show up on that user’s list until I actually create an active task from the template. However, for the sub-tasks under the template task, I have those assigned as well, but they do show up on a user’s list.

I want to be able to have the task template use the assignee field so that when I create a task and its affiliated sub-tasks from a template, the assignee is already filled in for all (parent task and any sub-tasks). But I don’t want it to show up on the assignee/user’s list until a task has been created from the template.

Is there a way to do this that I’m missing?

Welcome back, @anon28630972,

I just confirmed that, for me, it’s working the way you want it to–task template subtasks, like task template tasks, don’t appear for assignees until instantiated.

Any chance you’re seeing older subtasks from instantiated template tasks and mistaking them?

If not, please report to support@asana.com and mention this thread.

Thanks,

Larry

I believe you posted on the Slack as well, I answered there.

I am really confused by your problem and I am almost certain you are confused by the original task you used and turned into a template which has subtasks still assigned.

I don’t recall posting there, so may have been someone else?

And yes, that’s what I’m asking about. I’d like both the parent task and sub-tasks in a template to be assigned already so that when I create a new active task and related sub-tasks from the template, all of them are already assigned. But I don’t want any of them to show up as assigned to a user until a new, active task is created from the template.

When I create a task and sub-tasks and convert the task to a template, with all assigned to a user, the parent task of the template doesn’t appear as an active task on the user’s project list but the sub-tasks do. So that’s what I’m wondering about, if there’s a workaround or a specific way I need to do it in order to achieve what I’m looking for.
Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 8.28.45 AM

Screenshots illustrate what I’m talking about. Using myself as the assigned user for the test, the sub-tasks underneath the task template appear on my working, active project list even though they’re part of a template.

Thank you! I’m still seeing the same issue when I test creating a task template again, so I’m not sure if I’m doing something incorrectly. Can you reference the screenshots and explanation I shared with @Bastien_Siebman below and let me know if you have any other ideas?

1 Like

That’s what I thought: once the task is converted into a template, you don’t care about the task anymore → you can delete it + delete the subtasks.

What you are seeing is kind of an expected behaviour I guess…

I’m seeing the same behavior. The original post was marked resolved but there doesn’t seem to be a resolution here.

Well, my previous templates were created from existing tasks. Instead of trying to debug this. I deleted them all and recreated them from using the customize button on the project to create the template from there. Now they seem to be working correctly. I must have done something wrong in the convert task to template step but it isn’t clear what or why.

2 Likes

Burt! You’re a wizard! :magic_wand:

I was also creating task templates based on tasks and their related sub-tasks that I was entering into a project directly, vs. going the “Customize” route. Using the “Customize” button to create and assign them is also working for me in the way I was hoping and looking for. Thank you for your help and for sharing your discovery! :pray:

2 Likes