Start Date Tasks in Today's My Tasks

Thanks to @paulminors pointing that out to me, it looks like now task auto-promotion is using the start date and not the due date anymore! My today’s test agrees :slight_smile: @Marie can you confirm?

Hello! I found this online saying that it tasks that are in progress or starting should show on my Today tabs

" Now, your Today section will automatically include tasks that are starting, in-progress, or due."

This is not happening for my project. Do I have to change something? @Marie

2 Likes

My workflow would benefit from a generalization of this concept to include all blocked tasks. I include tasks which are:

• not yet started
  • waiting on a dependency
  • tagged with “blocked” or similar because they’re waiting on external events like an email response

Hey there!

I wanted to suggest/request an improvement for date ranges.

The start range should show if the task is DUE on that day vs having a date showing in my tasks list.

I find tasks are slipping through the cracks when you have your tasks set to filter by due date and something that you should be working on that week is not showing up at the top of the list because it gets sorted by the final due date.

For example if I had due date for OCT 1 - OCT 10 I would right now see that the task starts
Today-OCT 10th but it wouldn’t be at the bottom of my list

If I were to go to my tasks on OCT 2nd the task would show the date range of OCT 1-OCT 10 not alerting met at all that this is due in a week and I should be working on it. So maybe it should ALWAYS show Today-final date until the task is completed and should always sort from the start date vs last date of the date range this way it is always at the top of your list.

There needs to be a better way to use date ranges and to make it more apparent these tasks are due that week because if you have a lot of tasks like me then those tasks get LOST at the bottom of your list and something you should have been working on for a week then needs to be rushed since you didn’t realize the task due date started.

1 Like

A task with start and end date appears in my task list the day of the end date. My opinion is, I should be reminded when I have to start the task, not when its over. How can I change that? For example: To do November 8th until February 18th - in my task list on February 18th. I would like to see it November 8th. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Hi @Christine_Roth, thanks for reaching out and sharing your feedback with us! Unfortunately this is currently working as expected. We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to centralize feedback. We’ll keep the main thread updated as soon as we have any news.

1 Like

I really wish this would be updated. I was going to reach out and ask if it was already an option… but I see this thread was started in 2018 and it hasn’t been implemented in Asana yet. I’m hoping there is an update about this soon, this is a super useful feature in Asana but it isn’t beneficial if I can’t see when I’m supposed to start a task if I don’t see it until it’s already due…

1 Like

Are there any updated on when/if this feature will be implemented? Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello, I’m chiming in to add my support. I have been burned many times by this “feature”. I work using my tasks in list view sorted by due date. It’s rare that I have a chance to look ahead beyond what’s due today. It’s frustrating not seeing a big time-consuming task until the day it’s due when the assignee actually set the start date for me to work on a week prior.

3 Likes

news about this feature?

The date range in the due date column does not sort the row to the top until the last date. This is leading to slippages sometimes. It would be great if that row is shuffled to the top once the starting date is equal to the current date.

Hi @anon70232576, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback. We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

Yes. Please add this. My Tasks is a bit of a nightmare without it.

I can’t find out how to add START date as a column when in List view.

I want to be able to sort the tasks by Start date. How would I do that?
Screenshot 2021-12-08 105307

1 Like

Hi @anon1803870 nice to e-meet you!

Maybe you can create a custom filter:

Let me know if it helps!

Hi,

thanks for the idea, i tried it but could only get a filer for due date, nothing for START date. But even worse, in the My Tasks view, I don’t have the option to add filters… Maybe something is broken with my app (Windows 10).

t

It’s so fundamental to have a separate Start Date to Due date. I would consider moving to another platform, such as ClickUp, purely for this feature.

I understand that many people would not want to use it, so why not just have the ability to enable this in the settings, like with tags or custom boxes.

At the very least, why not add DATE as a field type on custom columns? This is driving me nuts.

Should I be deeply discouraged or concerned that this thread is years old? This thread pre-dates the iphone 10, I think. Meaning Apple has upgraded their iphone 5 times since this request was brought up.
Not to be a D*ck, but I guess I would like to understand how Asana power users work around this gap? There are some many ways a task list can/could/should be parsed. No one can function looking at every single task in the My Tasks section.
Part of the popularity of Notion has been the ability to customize task views into any conceivable configuration. So, again, how is this still a thing? What is the challenge that end users are not understanding?

1 Like

@anon23352771,

Many of us swear by Asana and use it productively, even if we also request tweaks. My earlier reply to you is an example of that and shows the strategy some of use:

Larry

I have a couple of people on my staff asking for this, tasks being sorted in to ‘Due Today’ at the Start rather than the Due date. Would be top-tier if there was a per-person setting for this.

I also have a manager that would like items in their Start-Due date span to show in reports. For example, that team has a daily meeting and she has a report of what her employees have due in the next 48 hrs. Similar to the My Tasks, the report only includes by the Due Date, not the Start Date.

This seems especially important with the roll out of the Dependency date shift that came out like a month ago. If a task doesn’t have a date span, dependent tasks are shifted one single day after another no matter how far they were spaced out before. So you want people to use Start date so if there is a shift, the time they need is accounted for but, if that time is shortened (because you have a hard go-live date) you want to sort by the Start Date so they can at least see the tasks in their My Tasks sooner rather than later (especially if they’re losing time to work).

Hopefully that made sense because explaining that date shift functionality is fUNky

3 Likes