Should I build new teams and new projects or just one team and various projects?

Hey there :slight_smile:

I just started using Asana and I was wondering how to organize workflow :slight_smile:
We have around 10 people in the team and not all of them are responsible for all the projects. Sometimes one project includes 2 members and over time needs another 2.

How do you usually do it? Do you add a new team for a new project or do you create one big team of your company (10 people) and create projects within the team and invite particular team members to a specific project?

I’d appreciate your advice.

All the best :slight_smile:
Aga

2 Likes

Hey @aggie!

It depends quite a bit on how many projects you intend to run.
Your goal should probably be to keep things easy to find and try to find the sweet-spot between having enough teams so there aren’t far too many projects in each one. But at the same time, you don’t want 20 teams with 2 projects in each.

Except for collaboration, I find the main purpose Teams to be structuring your projects.
We’re a bit over a hundred and never create a new Team unless it’s a major initiative that requires 5 or more Projects to be created within the team.

To visualize, I recommend just writing up some made-up teams and projects in a Sheet and try to see what a good combo could be.
A bit of advice, though - it’s a lot easier to create new teams than having to remove old teams.

Company-wide Team

• Vacation 2020
  • Comcal
  • Ideas & Suggestions!

Marketing

• Summer Campaign
  • New release SS20

And so on.

@aggie, This exact question is addressed in:

which links to the free chapter that walks you through how to create the right structure for your workflow.

Larry

1 Like

That’s a great guide! Although I don’t personally fully agree with having so many teams in all organizations.
We try to avoid any team only linked between people.

Our vision is that any team should be connected to our organization elsewhere and things you’d might want a report on.
Otherwise we try to manage one-on-ones and similar in the team where they belong, such as your department or, if cross-function, where it makes the most sense.

We’ve scaled from 10 people to 130 in 3-4 years and the amount of teams created made a mess.
As previously mentioned, I’d much rather expand on teams as they are needed instead of getting put in a situation where you have too many teams.

1 Like

I am happy to find this question because I have been wondering the same. While I appreciate your feedback, your context is more for in-house teams. What about for independent entrepreneur managing multiple clients projects?

I could add them all under My Company Team, but since these stakeholders are technically clients, I’ve been creating the projects under their Own Teams to create structure and boundaries. Maybe I answered my own question.

By having each client with its own team, I can then add those on my actual team (say hired under my company name) under my Company Team projects, as well organize multiple projects under each of my Client Teams, as I believe in time we’ll grow to such a size.

I might have answered my own question! LOL but I am open to feedback here in the community.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hey @Sami_Micelli and welcome to the Asana Community :wave:

hehe yes you did answer your own question :wink:
With clients it really depends on your use case. In our company we also had the problem on how this would be best set up and we have made a lot of changes over the years. In my opinion it really depends what you prefer and how much work per client is involved and how much (if any) access you want your clients to have.

I have written about it here as well: 🚦 Dealing with external clients - How much access should they have?

Would be keen to hear how you go with your set up :slight_smile:

1 Like

yass! i hear ya. I am thinking that as our projects are small and teams are just starting to develop, we can get away with client access within their own teams. I am keen to take a look at your blog about how much access to give them. That was also in the back of my mind.

happy to share as things progress. Right now just trying to onboard and immerse people into the teams as most are new to the app.

I wonder if there is a great onboarding tutorial here that we can piggy back on?

1 Like

To onboard team members to start using Asana I can recommend going through How to get your team started with Asana in less than 5 seconds - The Asana Blog
There is an onboarding checklist project that you can download also from this site.

Here are some courses for your team to get to know the basics https://academy.asana.com/page/get-to-know-the-basics

And once the basics are covered I’d recommend you definitely should create some short tutorial videos about your individual project set-up

And here was a discussion as well about this topic

1 Like