Set relative due dates based on subtask created/completion date

I cannot find how to do this, but I think it’s possible.

We’re designing some Task templates using Dependencies on the subtasks. No “due date” is built into the Template.

Basically I need to be able to set all of the subsequent subtasks to happen on specific intervals of days after the very first subtask is given a due date.

Basically, something like this:
Subtask #1- main subtask. Due date is added when the Template is used.
Subtast #2- Need due date assigned automatically, due 3 days after Subtask 1
Subtask #3- due 4 days after Subtask2
Subtask #4- due 2 days after Subtask 3
Subtask #5- Due same day as Subtask 4

I’m sure this is simple but cannot find it-- how do I do this?

4 Likes

Hi @Matt5, thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback!

At this time, it’s only possible to set relative due dates based on when the parent task is created, but hopefully our Product team can implement other options in the future.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this item on the product road map or coming out any time soon?

1 Like

Any updates on this?

2 Likes

This is so needed.

1 Like

How can I do this (set relative due date based on when the parent task is created) without using a template?

This is basic project management functionality and free in other platforms. I don’t understand how this isn’t available.

Hi @Mark_Hashizume and @Erin_Taylor5 ,

Welcome to the forum! Depending on what you’re looking to do, relative dates are available in both rule actions and task templates. In rule actions, you have the ability to set due dates relative to a few metadata fields:

In task templates, you can set dates relative to the date the template is used.

1 Like

I am creating a project not a template. Do I need to convert it to a template in order to have this functionality?

@Mark_Hashizume - could you give some context for what you’re trying to create (project, project template, task, task template, or subtasks) and a little detail on your overall workflow?

Relative dates are supported in project templates, task templates, and tasks/subtasks created from rules, which can be triggered by other tasks.

They are not supported in things like a blank project or task that you are creating from scratch (which makes sense, since you wouldn’t be providing any context for the relative dates).

I want to create a project (no template) that does not have a real start or end date. I plan to put in an artificial start date with task durations and task dependencies. How can set this up?

Hi @Mark_Hashizume ,

Could you expand on why you wouldn’t want to use a project template for this? Using a template would allow you to achieve what you’re looking for (dynamic date ranges based on either a star or end date for the project, pre-built dependencies, etc.).

From the template, you would create your individual project(s), give them a start/end date (depending on how you set up the relative dates in the template), and all the information would push down to each of those individual project(s).

How did you get to that? That option does not show for me in Task Template Editing

@DomVADA - that is a rule (found in the Customize menu of a project). Task templates only support due dates relative to the creation date of the task, which can be modified in the due date field.