Section Update doesn't trigger Zapier - Looking for workarounds!

I am trying to use Zapier to push updates from Asana to a CRM (Insightly) when a Task in Asana is moved to a new section. However, Zapier does not currently recognize section changes as “updates” to Asana tasks, so the Zap doesn’t trigger.

Zapier informed me that this is a known bug that has been reported to Asana but was unable to give a time frame for resolution. In the meantime, I’d like to find a workaround, if possible, but have run into a dead end. I’d appreciate any input!

That’s actually not true. When you change the section of a task, Asana does generate a “task change” event. So I would say the issue is on Zapier’s end that they are not properly picking up this event. However, that fact doesn’t help you resolve your problem.

Based on this forum post: The Asana automation bible: all the triggers and actions from Asana, Zapier, Flowsana, Integromat & Automate, I would suggest you take a look at at Automate.io in place of Zapier. According to that post, they have a section-changed trigger, and they support Insightly as well.

2 Likes

Thanks, Phil. Automate doesn’t have the right actions within Insightly, unfortunately.

Darn it!

OK, this is not ideal, and I was really trying for a solution that didn’t involve my Flowsana integration but… what you could do is create a Flowsana rule of “when a task is moved to section X, add the tag X to the task”. Then Zapier has a trigger of “when a tag is added to a task” so you could use the tag’s addition to trigger your Insightly action.

3 Likes