Search for "Doesn't Contain"

It would be really cool if we could search by “doesn’t contain.” - I know workarounds to this (adding a tag and excluding it from the search, moving into a section and excluding it from search, etc), but sometimes I want to exclude tasks with certain titles/keywords from my search.

Could go under the “More…” section, or even just a format that can be typed into the search bar (see Gmail example).

gmail-doesnt-have-example

2 Likes

Agreed. Filtering should be able to take advantage of all the data we have painstakingly created and loaded into Asana. We shouldn’t have to make special requests for filtering field by field.

2 Likes

All of our templates projects start with [TEMP] in their name. We want to create a report that shows all tasks assigned to me, but exclude any that have [TEMP] in the project name.

How do we exclude this in a search?

Hi @anon92697065, thanks for reaching out!

This is a great question, we currently offer the option to filter your search by tasks assigned to you and that are not part of specific projects. You can add this option selecting “+ Add filter” > Projects. See screenshot below:

We have an existing product feedback request related to this topic and I’ve gone ahead and merged your request with Search for “Doesn’t Contain” in order to centralize votes.

I hope this helps!

Unfortunately, this does not work. It requires me to pick every single project that starts with [TEMP] and doesn’t allow a blanket use of the keywords. We have over 30 templates and continue to add to that. We need a way to simply exclude "[TEMP].

1 Like

Is there any way at all to exclude templates. Not everyone uses My Tasks with the Today, Upcoming, Later view, some sort by date and I am really trying to provide my team with a solution to an issues that has been discussed in the forums since 2018.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to bump up a vote for excluding words and phrases.

Also to add to @anon92697065 's question, it would be great to just exclude specific Teams and Portfolios the same way you can search Not in this project. We keep all our project templates in a team called Templates. It would be easy to just exclude that entire team from the search.

3 Likes

Has anything been done with this request to be able to exclude words in a search? I vote for this to be available!

2 Likes

+1

+1

We have many tasks with the exact same name (with exception of a prefix indicating our product’s style number). I’ve found that when I perform an Advanced Search for the EXACT task title that I want to see, ALL tasks with any of the words included in my search are also found. We need the ability to filter out the fields/values of the task that we DO NOT want included in the search results.

For example, when searching for task “ABC123,” the results include tasks that include ABC123 in the subject, description, and comments. I would like the ability to exclude both description and comments, if I’m specifically looking for tasks with the subject of my search term/string.

This current search results yield years worth of tasks with similar values, but not the actual tasks that I’m looking for. I’d love to see the ‘exclude’ filters expanded on for Advance Search in this way!

Hello @NicoleK,

Totally agree on this one. There is already Product Feedback for this, so going to merge your post there.

You can upvote that request; the more upvotes, the higher the possibility that the feature request gets prioritised.

Cheers,
Rosario

1 Like

Agreed. To build on what Megan has here, I’d also like to request a method of search for exact text strings (similar to enclosing the text in quotation marks in a Google search).
I am trying to search for all tasks in our projects that have the exact same name (built into our templates), but I don’t want to include any tasks in other projects where they just happen to have the same two words somewhere within the task.
If we could use quotation marks (like Google), or some other method of specifying an exact text string, it may also help some of these other use cases.
Thank you!

Dear Emily,
May I ask can we filter " not commented on by" or filter “comments of those who have been removed”

Thank you