Recurring Tasks on certain day/week of month not the actual day

Every other work management suite includes this except Asana which is super frustrating for me. So many of my regular meetings are scheduled as ā€œ2nd Tuesday of the Monthā€ etc. but thereā€™s no way to accurately translate this into task due dates.

Iā€™m having to either make everything due earlier than the earliest possible date, so if itā€™s the 2nd Tuesday, making it due on the 7th recurring in case some monthā€™s Tuesday falls on the 1st.

2 Likes

I have created a tool to create real recurring tasks, and in the advanced features I have a list of recurring patterns. This is a pattern I could add. Let me know if you would be interested!

3 Likes

need a scheduling option that allows for ā€œtask is due on the second wednesday of each monthā€

3 Likes

Hi @Lutz_Lehmann, welcome to the Asana Community forum :wave:

Iā€™ve gone ahead and updated your title to make the post more discoverable for other users. Hopefully this is something our Product team can implement in the future!

Iā€™ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Rebecca,

thank you for your reply. To clarify, Iā€™d love to see something similar to Outlookā€™s scheduling option as highlighted in the screenshot

for monthly, that would be

[first/second/third/fourth/last] [Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun] every X months

and if you were to also implement an advanced yearly option, that would be

[first/second/third/fourth/last] [Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun] in [Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr/May/Jun/Jul/Aug/Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec] every X years

5 Likes

My Customer Success team has recurring tasks which happen every 4-5 weeks on a certain day of the week, or annually recurring tasks which need to happen on the first workday of the new year.

The Periodically recurring task function in Asana only has the option to select # of days after the original task was completed. Right now if we want to have this functionality in Asana, we set tasks supposed to recur every 4 or 5 weeks as recurring every 4 weeks, then update due dates every month. For annually recurring tasks, we have to check in on due dates for next year toward the end of the current year - which is already busy with end of year deadlines and holiday off time.

Most of our team is frustrated by this and continues to do most scheduling in Google Calendar, which offers much more customizable dates for recurring events (such as [Monthly] on the [2nd] [Tuesday], for example). Unfortunately that means we are not getting full use of the Calendar or Workflow views in Asana, which is impacting other features like Portfolios and Reporting.

3 Likes

Hi @Alison_Palmer, thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback :slight_smile:

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

Iā€™ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

If anyone is interested, my tool to create real recurring tasks has more recurring patterns options!

1 Like

I am happy to use the website instead, but I wanted to share this tidbit.

Ideally, the Asana app for iPAD should be just as powerful as the full fledged website. Otherwise, there is no good reason to use the app on an iPAD.

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us @Daniel_Frome! We already have a thread on this topic so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with Recurring Tasks on certain day/week of month not the actual day to consolidate feedback. We will let you know when we have any updates about this feature!

It would be very helpful to be able to set tasks to repeat on more specific intervals such as:
-First Monday of the Month
-First Friday of the Month
-Quarterly

3 Likes

Hi @Kristen_Burns, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

While this feature isnā€™t available at this time, hopefully itā€™s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

Iā€™ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

Clearly this feature means a lot to a lot people, as even after 5 years people are requesting it. Why is the feature taking so long when so many alternatives to Asana already have this feature?

8 Likes

Hi having a fully automated feature like this is rather important to each individual team member of my business. Without this feature it is costing us all in time. Is this something that can be updated within the month?

Thanks

4 Likes

Yes, please! Lots of rearranging of due dates on recurring tasks because this feature is missing.

3 Likes

Can you add to your tool the option for a recurring task on [blank] Tuesday of the month, for example?

1 Like

It is already available, you need to get a token to access this advanced feature.

Capture dā€™eĢcran 2022-02-11 aĢ€ 09.46.42

Please enable this feature. For monthly task cycles with lots of subtasks dependent on a 4-4-5 monthly calendar this feature is critical. Otherwise due dates have to be reviewed and manually adjusted, which is tedious, time-intensive, and error-prone.

4 Likes

Four and a half YEARS later, this basic feature is still missing and is the only reason I have not converted to a paid version. Every other competitor software has this feature. I just donā€™t get itā€¦

3 Likes

Please please pleaseā€¦ can we have this feature added already???
I just saw a new update coming out with workflows - but this still hasnā€™t been addressed???

3 Likes