Question about Events / Possible Idea

Hi all, I’m fairly new to the Asana API and I’m trying to figure out if an idea I had doable, and if so, how to go about it. Basically, I’m wondering if there is a way to create a new task on a project when another task gets completed. So person A finished this thing, which generates another thing in the sequence?

I’ve looked at events, but I’m not 100% sure it’s what I need. I’ve looked at the JSON responses, but there doesn’t seem to be “Task completed”, but rather stories created/removed?

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi Andrew,
I am sure that @LenSantos knows :slight_smile:
And even if it does not work with the API you could try to do it with Zapier.

1 Like

Hi guys, unfortunately, I haven’t tried the events yet, so I cannot provide any further detail other than those available in the API guide. But yes, @Andrew_Stephens you are in the right track. As far as I understand, you need to create a webhook. The webhook will receive the events from Asana and in turn, triggers the code which creates another task.

As for the stories, I think that’s how it works now. I read in some post that there were some folks requesting for the “task completed” event, since currently Asana just sends the details of the task which got changed. But it doesn’t say if it’s completed or not, so they needed to raise another API request to read whether the task was completed or not.

1 Like