Project templates V2: what we gain, what we lose

The use case is valid and that seems like a problem indeed! I added 28.

2 Likes

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug youā€™re experiencing:
I created a project, removed & added new charts on its dashboard, and saved it as a template. When creating a new project using this template it comes with the default dashboards, completely ignoring all changes Iā€™ve made.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create project
  2. Change dashboard
  3. Save as template
  4. Create new project using this template

Browser version:
Desktop app on Mac 12.5, Asana app version 1.9.0

Upload screenshots below:

Hi,

This is indeed known, see point #9 on Project templates V2: what we gain, what we lose

1 Like

We just got word that 6. was fixed.

@Bastien_Siebman great list!

I would add to it: ā€œNo ability to add a subtask to the same project template together with parent taskā€.

Sometimes we need to have subtasks added to the same project as their parent task (for example to make automation on subtasks available since rules do not work with subtasks), and now it is not possible in templates.

1 Like

Thanks, post updated!

Since this feature was released in April, have you been keeping this list updated on what it can/canā€™t do? Or do you know where I can find that info so I know exactly what all new Templates can/canā€™t do today?

I just saw the post announcing old templates will be automatically converted to new templates on Sept 19. That came as a complete surprise to me, and itā€™s only 12 days away. Do you know how to find all templates being used in my org and their owners?

Since the last I looked at new templates, it changed a lot of features that our teams were relying on, and now I have to try to track everyone down to ensure their workflows wonā€™t be broken.

The above list should be more or less up to date as I was being helped by the community and also tried to keep tabs on updates myself.

The forced migration is indeed only a few days away and some users will be quite unhappy/surprised when they discover what they lost.

I donā€™t have a way to search for templates of type V1. @Phil_Seeman @lpb @Julien_RENAUD any idea?

I assume this only works for returning V2 templates?

https://app.asana.com/api/1.0/project_templates?team=XXXXX&opt_pretty

Iā€™m not aware of a way.

Thanks for creating and maintaining this list.

Iā€™ve had to resort to workarounds due to unsupported features, for example using model tasks with instructions to duplicate instead of tasks templates (no task templates supported within projects templates 2.0).

Larry

Thatā€™s going to be a tough one for everyone. We have this use case ourselves!

1 Like

No, it will return v1 project templates as well; Asana is internally mapping v1 project templates so that they are included as ā€œProject Templatesā€ in the API.

Our team just double checked the list, looks like it is up-to-date, no surprised feature deployed :frowning:

2 Likes

Is it just me or task templates are back in V2 project templates?!

1 Like

@Bastien_Siebman Itā€™s not just you, they are for me also.

1 Like

@Rebecca_McGrath and @Nao_Kumazaki, Can you confirm if task templates in v2 project templates are officially released? I have a large client whoā€™s been patiently waiting for this and weā€™d like to start using them, but only when we know for sure. Thanks!!

PS I have a meeting with them at 12p PT in case you happen to have a chance to reply before then; sorry for the late notice!

I assume this only works for returning V2 templates? PS I have a meeting with them at 12p PT in case you happen to have a chance to reply before then; sorry for the late notice!

In any case - things are going forward; we should work with and over new features.

Is it not possible to add an existing task into a Project Template? I have a task (with a bunch of subtasks) that Iā€™ve created, and now I want to add it into one of our Project Templates.

But I see no way of doing this, other than manually re-creating everything within the Project Template setup. :frowning:

Yep not possible indeed.