Project Template assigned tasks show up in My Tasks automatically

This is still a pain point for us. Almost 2 years later it feels like itā€™s safe to assume Asana has no plan to fix this frustrating design deficiency.

3 Likes

Agreed. This is very disappointing.

2 Likes

This seems like very basic functionality to include for a template - nothing in a template is real work to be done! Even just allowing users the ability to hide a specific projectā€™s tasks from the My Work section would fix this. Please Asana add something to address this.

3 Likes

This is a very annoying issue. It does not make sense having tasks that will never be completed in our inboxes.

2 Likes

I still wonder if most organizations could use a tag for the Assignee in the template and then when the template is used search by tag, Multi-select the name of a tag and add as Assignee. Not pretty but at least it should take out of My Tasks. If projects could be sorted by tags it would be even easier to do this method. Alternatively for premium users you could have a drop down custom field with all the potential assignee names in it. When the new project is created if you click that field it would sort by custom field entry allowing the mass selection to create the Assignee. When you are done with doing this in the new project, remove the custom field. Again this is a work-around but it would take it out of My Tasks.

2 Likes

Just one caveat here: this approach will only work for organizations (or perhaps teams depending on the use case) of 50 users or less, since thatā€™s the maximum number of allowable custom field values in a dropdown custom field.

2 Likes

Thanks @Phil_Seeman, you always are keeping an eye on things to bring great clarification. Much appreciated.

There is a good chance not all 50 people will be involved in tasks in template though :slight_smile:

1 Like

And because they are used for a unique use if you have that many, create additional fields. In the end they are taken out of the project.

1 Like

DISREGARD/User Error ----------------->>>> Did I miss an announcement? As of today, the correct template behavior is now present in my Premium version of Asana. Anyone else notice this? Has there been a rollout?

1 Like

That would be a nice addition!!!

Major oversight from Asana here ā€“ and even more disappointing that it has not yet been fixed. The purpose of a template is to create the project framework ā€“ users should not be receiving task assigned notifications until the template is converted to a project.

3 Likes

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug youā€™re experiencing: During the template creation process, there is no way to supress assignee notifications. This creates organizational confusion because the template is not yet a real project.

Steps to reproduce: Create a project template and assign to users.

Browser version: Does not matter.

Upload screenshots below: NA

1 Like

This is a known issue and amazingly, it is the current intentional design. There is another major thread where votes are being collected to change this - could you try searching for it?

1 Like

Thanks Stephanie. Found it and posted.

Hi @Rabih, welcome to the Community Forum!

I have merged your post with the existing thread Project Template assigned tasks show up in My Tasks automatically to centralize feedback. I hope you donā€™t mind!

Let me know if you have any questions.

This is a super frustrating bug. Seems pretty intuitive that template tasks wouldnā€™t show up as work to be done sinceā€¦ itā€™s only a template.

Is there any roadmap for getting this fixed? Seems like thereā€™s quite a few people inquiring about it.

4 Likes

Itā€™s actually more frustrating now that Asana has just come out with functionality to automatically adjust all the dates of a template based on the Start date or End date of the new project. I specifically have to remove due dates from templates to try to prevent them from showing up, so this feature is useless until Templates never show up as tasks.

6 Likes

My Tasks should only show tasks that can be done.

It should not show tasks that cannot be done because they are dependent on an incomplete task.
It should not show tasks that are in a template.

The work-around for not showing tasks that are in templates is to not assign them until after the template is used to create a project. This is a fail because it requires users to perform repetitive actions every time a template is used.

The related topic below is about the template part of this problem.
Template assigned tasks show up in My Tasks automatically

1 Like

Hello @Tim16,

I have merged your post in this topic in order to consolidate feedback around template tasks in the ā€˜My tasksā€™ page.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

1 Like