Project Sections are not visible for task assignee

Hi,

I’m new to Asana and hoping someone could help out,

I’ve created a training plan in a form of a project template,
All training activities are listed under separate tasks, each task will have the assignee (either trainee or trainer).
All tasks are divided into Sections

After running the test I’ve noticed that task assignee (The trainee) will have all tasks listed according to due date but not divided into sections, its like a one list,

Im trying to figure out how to set the project to allow the task assignee to view the tasks with the sections, same as per template.

I should mentioned that I don’t want the trainee to be added to the project to have the full visibility.

For example: I want the trainee to view only the tasks which are assigned to them, for the other tasks like evaluation or trainers feedback I don’t want them to be able to view them

Any help will be much appreciated,

Thank you

Hi @Cezary_Karpinski, and thanks for your question :wave:

Indeed, if you only share the project’s tasks to the trainees (and not the project), they will be able to access to the tasks (in their My Tasks section), but they won’t benefit from the complete project structure (including the sections).

Let me propose some alternatives :

1. You could create a new Custom Field to imitate your sections (for example, called “Section”; type: Single select)

‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎
And your tasks assignees can use this Field to structure their “My Tasks” (they can even use Sorting to recreate the sections based on the Custom Field - see screenshot)

‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎
2)[My favorite] You could create multiple versions of your project with the “Multi-homing” feature = the capability for a task to exist in multiple projects at once. (more info about the multi-homing in that video)

For example:

A- Project for trainers
Task 1
Task 2
Task 3
Task 4

B- Project for trainees V1
Task 1
Task 2

C- Project for trainees V2
Task 2
Task 3
Task 4

And then, you can share the right project to the right person (and they will benefit from the complete project structure). But the tasks remain the same (you don’t have to double or triple your work).

For example, thanks to the multi-homing, the Task 2 belongs to Project A, B and C

Hope that could help,

Please let me know if you have questions :wink:

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me,

On your first solution;
I’ve added the custom filed but It wont show up in “My Tasks”, or do i do something wrong?

The Multi-Homing looks good but when I had 1 Task assigned to multiple projects, once the 1 assignee pressed complete, it was showing complete for everyone else,

Do you know any other workarounds by any chance:)

Thanks

Most likely you didn’t add it to your organizational custom fields library; see this answer I just gave someone else about the two different types of custom fields: How to organise tasks per priotity? - #2 by Phil_Seeman

1 Like

That works now! thanks Phil

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.