Please make a Premium Solo Plan

What Asana needs to realize is this. If I, as a single user, purchases a 5 seat license, I am paying $37.50 - which everyone would agree is crazy. For this plan the min number of seats you would want to utilize to make per seat cost reasonable would be 3 seats - putting the cost per seat at $12.50. Every other package is still per seat reasonable even if using the minimum number of seats in the package, as you get larger packages you can spread the “unused” per seat costs across a wider number of users enabling you to maintain a reasonable per seat cost

Example:

With EVERY OTHER PLAN the “Max Cost Per Seat”, meaning you are using the least number of seats at the price level, the cost per seat is what ANYONE in this forum would be willing to pay for a single seat license.

Conclusion: Asana does not want us single seat users as customer. They do not care about the single seat user community…and they are further unable to even respond to our requests for a single seat license. I would much rather them tell us that they don’t want us customers then let us have hope they would ever even think about us.

5 Likes

So this thread has a clear message: single users and teams with 2 or 3 members are not wanted by Asana. Fair enough, they build it, they can target whomever they want. So what alternatives are there?

Clickup was mentioned and while I don’t find it’s UI quite as slick as Asana’s it has a lot of features even in the free plan. But what’s really interesting: they have an impressive feature roadmap. E.g. they plan to introduce custom fields this summer. Amongst many other things. So definitely wort a try. Which should also make the Asana team happy so they can get rid of us single users.

4 Likes

Love Asana, but as a freelancer, I don’t have a point to pay for 5 users… so I spend ages to find application for my needs ))) And while I still waiting for Asana to create something for solo users, I am using Taskworld - design is not so nice, but it is cheap and has Giant charts, projects, tasks, calendars, start and end due date and etc.

1 Like

When you say per user, it’d be great if it was actually per user. What is the use of even saying that if you are using multiples of 5s and 10s? That is a blatant opposite concept of “per user.”
This thread alone makes it evident that single users would be a prime source of revenue. It would seem that it is a small change that would make a big difference for your users. Solopreneurs and freelancers are getting more and more prevalent and we enjoy premium productivity tools too.

2 Likes

Asana, you’ve had multiple years of “listening” to feedback and hundreds of excited, loyal users begging you to take our money. Time’s up.

We’re leaving for other apps that value what freelancers, solopreneurs, and small businesses bring to the economy. And if/when we transition to a larger company, you can be assured your name won’t come up as a suggestion for task management software.

Bye Felicia.

5 Likes

Just me again, want to make sure Asana knows I am still here waiting for an honest public response…I mean seriously, it’s been how long?

2 Likes

Hi. Just chiming in to say I was disappointed to find I have to pay for 4 ghosts to use the timeline feature. I’m a freelancer, and Asana looks like a great match for my project management. But it’s too steep if I have to pay for a minimum of 5 members. Like, I’ll go elsewhere without hesitation.

5 Likes

Hi there, chiming in as well requesting we be able to pay as a solo user at the advertised price. I originally started building out on the free plan with the intention of paying $6.25/mo for my single user freelance work as soon as I verified the basic layouts would work with my goals and integration needs. I specifically worked in Asana, spending a great deal of time test building multiple projects and calendars, (in preference over the strong alternative consideration for monday.com) because $75/year, while still an expense, was worth the features. Finding out instead its going to be $31.25/mo places this ridiculously out of my budget as a single person business and more expensive than most other alternatives. I cannot pay for 4 “ghosts”. It’s rather disappointing to hear this has been a VERY long outstanding request…

4 Likes

Another solo operator here disappointed that Asana are putting their forced revenue model before its Users.

Seriously guys, look how many people want a solo premium plan. There are so many clever ways you could implement a solo premium plan and still stay true to what ever the hell you are trying to achieve by forcing people to pay for 5 users if they want to go premium.

3 Likes

+1

Would really like a solo plan or plan that can have less than 5 people.

4 Likes

Hi all,

Thanks for the impassioned feedback here. We apologize for not jumping into the conversation sooner, but wanted to be sure to share information on this thread that was useful.

To start off, here’s some background on how we approach our product development and pricing model. Asana’s mission is to help humanity thrive by enabling all teams to work together effortlessly, and we believe that Asana is most valuable when teams use it to collaborate on work together. Asana is a freemium product and we have always allowed small teams and personal users to use Asana for free. As we build our paid products, we’ve worked on developing features that support more complex, team-based workflows. Because our focus is primarily on teams, our pricing and packaging* has reflected that, and we’ve heard from many customers that they prefer the groups of 5 and 10 seat billing structure because it allows their team to grow while still having predictable billing.

At the same time, we also recognize that there are Asana users, including many on this thread, that would like to use Asana Premium for a single user rather than in a group of seats. This is feedback we’ve gotten before, and something that we continue to discuss in our Voice of the Customer process and with our business and product planning teams. Because we have so many different types of teams working in Asana, the interests of those users diverge, and it’s a challenge for us to create a solution that works equally well for everyone.

A lot of the questions that have come up on this thread have asked for a final answer from Asana. Will we build single user pricing, or is that never going to happen? In the spirit of full transparency, we don’t have a permanent plan that we can point to and assure you that yes, we will build single user pricing, but it’s also not something that we’ve decided that we’ll never do. We spend a lot of time going through feedback we get from our sales and customer success teams, our NPS reports, and via our social media and community channels, and we do recognize that this is an issue for some customers that we’d like to improve.

I recognize that this response might not feel like a fully satisfying answer, but I do hope the transparency in where we’re at, and how we think about pricing helps. If there are follow up questions, we’re happy to chat with customers one-on-one through support or sales channels to talk through potential solutions.

Thanks!

Kaitie

*For reference on our current offerings, we have various account structures with associated pricing and packaging (resources on each linked). You can upgrade any Team, Organization, or Workspace to Premium or Enterprise plans. For those looking to collaborate with clients in separate teams within an organization, we have introduced a premium divisional plan to allow you to select multiple teams to add under a single premium account. You can see full details on our premium pricing and packaging here.

3 Likes

woaaah… I tried Asana free and was raring to get onto premium - as a single user for now. Before I nudge my team and perhaps the greater APAC team onto this if it works perfectly for us. Seems a shame that the single users are left with this much uncertainty.

4 Likes

Disappointing. As a consultant who advises teams on tooling, blocking me from using Premium features means I can’t speak to them, and thus go with Trello or other tools that make this easy and straightforward.

9 Likes

How do I upvote this? Asana would crush it if you could bill per user instead of groups of 5. I read Kaitie’s thread, and hear ya, but there are too many people that would pay for individual memberships, but aren’t going to fork over $35 a month for a couple of premium features. While the premium features are great, they’re not worth that much money. Why not follow Harvest’s model (a company Asana work’s closely with). It’s $12 per person.

7 Likes

Another +1 to the growing list.

I’m a single member, sometimes use a second user on some projects.
I mainly need the premium features for myself as I’m managing all projects.

I do appreciate you’re not charging for a few extra members as it allows to assign a task, share projects and have conversations which offers true freemium value, but there should be a difference between premium features & team features.
You’re right saying Asana is most valuable when teams use it, but then why don’t you bill separately for premium features only like Timeline / Custom fields / Task dependencies / Start dates ? Everything else is team use.
If I want my second user to have access to those features then I buy a premium package for him. If we’re increasing the team to +5 then I’d buy a Premium Team package… Just a thought.

I used to have premium Todoist at 25€ a year because it offers premium features I need. When I share task with another member, I don’t need him to have access to the premium features.

Asana is far superior and I’m almost using it entirely, but I just can’t afford 345€ a year for 1.5 members just to get access to the premium features… (A family Office 365 package is 3x cheaper than Asana)

I hope you can consider our request. Thanks!

Ps: removing support for premium would be acceptable.

8 Likes

+1, I won’t pay for an upgrade for 5 users. I only need 1 pro user. I’d love to see this happen, Asana!

5 Likes

Well, I was going to upgrade to Premium and there’s no option for 1 user. Moving to Clickup, I wanted to manage my team with Asana but paying for 4 extra seats when I don’t need it is very frustrating.

5 Likes

Same here! Just cancelled my trial and moved to Clickup ← thanks for the recommendation!

2 Likes

This is insane, I just looked around in Asana, looks great and would like the premium feature. Why in the #$# is is not possible to pay PER user, that would be the most fair pricing for everyone… Or a starter subscription for solopreneurs? (say USD14,99?) I really feel like you are not listening to potential user. Starters who get more people in their company will upgrade as time goes by…

6 Likes

I completely understand what you’re saying about teams appreciating the groups of 5 and 10 billing. Nobody is asking you to change that. All we’re asking is that you just add in one more option for us solopreneurs, even if that option was a price for, say, 2 or 3 team members. A solo plan priced between $10-18 would, I think, be fine with most people. I don’t understand why this can’t be done. Yes, your focus may be on teams but when you’ve got another customer base crying out for your product and wanting to pay you for it, it seems very odd business practice to just ignore that completely, especially given that many of these solo users may grow their business to a place where they have a whole team of people working for them in the future anyway.

7 Likes