No more stringing you along, Threaded Comments are now LIVE 🧵

Sew have you heard the news? Threaded Comments are live in Asana!
(pause for applause for the product release and the sewing puns :smirking_face:)

Cinderella's Gus Gus Threads a Needle

One of the best inventions of the 21st century is arguably threads, and now they’re live for all of your Asana-organizing, keep-it-in-a-line desires!

What’s new?

  • Reply directly to a specific comment inside a task, goal, message, or status update instead of adding everything to one top-level thread

  • Keep side conversations grouped together, which makes it easier to follow context and catch decisions

  • Available for web and mobile (yaaaas, threads to go :mobile_phone_with_arrow: )

We know you’ve been asking for this feature for a long time (I’m looking at you, 2018’s @john_doe4), so I am so thrilled that it’s ready to go for every Asana user.

A closer look

Questions, reactions? Drop them below. If this is one you’ve been waiting for, scream it from the mountaintops; I wanna hear!

:email: Want to be automatically notified of all new upcoming product updates? Make sure to follow our News category!

28 Likes

@LaurenAldredge - Sew, eye just want to honor how on point your puns were. It was exactly what I needled today.

Oh, and also, great feature! Very excited about it. :tada:

3 Likes

Am I the only one who thinks you should be able to reply to more than just the top-level comments?

Comment

  • I can reply to this comment
    – I cannot reply this comment
4 Likes

I have been thinking a lot about comments in Asana, does anyone have any “best practices” laid out that they use for their team? For instance, what are comments used for expliciyly- when is it better to substantively add to the Description, rather than create a comment? I could see a long comment string becoming unwieldy and burying useful info. I’d love to know people’s thoughts!

4 Likes

We discourage comments for conversation and instead use them for context about a task. For example, someone may comment on their own task something like “blocked because Bob is on PTO, updating the due date” or “these are the additional links needed for this task”. We do this because 1) it becomes super unwieldy very quickly and 2) the Asana AI can/does read comments for context when preparing project status updates (or when otherwise prompted).

As an example, a manager may ask the AI “give me an update on my direct report’s tasks that have any activity this week” which will then provide back an update that includes the context from the comments (eg, “Jill is working on the ABC project and is making progress with 15 completed tasks this week. The task related to XYZ was due on 1/1 but was adjusted to 1/3 because the stakeholder was on PTO. The additional links were shared on 1/2 so this task should be on track to be completed on time.”) Similar outputs are provided when we create our weekly project summaries.

This is also VERY handy when someone is out of office unexpectedly – I can easily jump in and see what that person is working on and have context for how it’s coming along.

3 Likes

YES ! I noticed this pop up and was all :eyes:!

Love the update!!

And 10/10 cinderella GIF reference haha @LaurenAldredge :mouse_face: :thread: :sewing_needle:

1 Like

Wait really? I haven’t gotten to that point yet but that’s dumb. 100% should be able to reply to a reply. No wonder my team hasn’t been replying back.

Correct me if i’m wrong, but i believe when i got a reply to something, the notification in my asana inbox only showed the reply. I would love to see the parent comment AND the reply so i know what it’s related to. Honest a “show full thread” button to open it up right in there would be helpful too for context.

We appreciate your feedback, @Robert_Graves and @Michal_Bednarczyk1. Feel free to create new Feedback topics for these additional requests in our Asana Community > Product Ideas category, and don’t forget to upvote them! We track all community requests and pass them along to our Product team. As new features launch, we always circle back to update the relevant topics.

Threaded Comments actually came to life because of Community ideas like yours, so keep them coming, and you might see these show up in future iterations! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Will this be available in the API?