Next Tab (Ctrl + Tab) shortcut doesn't work when browser is full screen

On Chrome with Ctrl+Tab (Ctrl+Shift+Tab), one can switch between tabs. When I have chrome on full screen this shortcut doesn’t work on asana. It works as usual without fullscreen.

I’m on Chromebook, Version 69.0.3497.120 (Official Build)

1 Like

I have 10 tabs, 10 sites, when I navigate the tabs it stops at asana, because of your key shortcuts.
Ctrl+tab is a universal binding for browsers. Please stop it or give us the option to change the binding.

Out of 1000s of sites I have used, yours is the only who does it.

Hi @Bogdan_Buliga and thanks for the feedback, this is definitely something we will keep in mind for future updates! Note that the shortcut should work while you’re not in full screen mode!

I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with an existing thread on the same topic; this is just to gather all feedback in one place :slight_smile:

It makes no difference with Vivaldi Browser (chrome based) if I am in fullscreen or not!

1 Like

Got it! Thanks for the additional information. Please note that we currently don’t support this browser officially so you might see some discrepancies with supported browsers. I’ll make sure to keep you posted as soon as I have an update on this topic!

1 Like

I think whether or not a particular problem will be fixed for a particular browser should have less to do with whether or not it is one of your officially supported browsers, and more to do with why it is not working. It seems to me that unless there is something really stupid in the the code, Ctrl+Tab would not behave any differently in Vivaldi or any other browser. As long as Vivaldi is following web standards, and your website is following web standards, then it should all work right? Not hijacking Ctrl+Tab is probably not a web standard, but it should be, and doing this is a very bad practice regardless of which browsers you support.

Also, not supporting Vivaldi is a very bad idea. Vivaldi is the only decent browser right now because it is fast like Chrome, and supports MRU tab switching via Ctrl+Tab. This is rather infuriating when the whole reason I use Vivaldi is to have a Chrome with a properly working Ctrl+Tab, and then Ctrl+Tab is the only thing that doesn’t work right in Asana. I don’t want to use Asana in Chrome because Chrome has a crazy implemention of Ctrl+Tab. I don’t want to use Asana in Firefox because Firefox is slow and barely works on most websites, and Asana in particular is insanely slow in Firefox. Microsoft Edge is now somewhat decent in comparison to before, now that it is Chromium based, however ever since then it also has the same terrible lack of support for MRU tab switching with Ctrl+Tab.

I really would like to know why Ctrl+Tab stops working in Asana specifically in Vivaldi and not other browsers.

I have the same issue. Ctrl + tab stops working on Vivaldi when Asana’s tab becomes active. It is really weird, since it works on other Chromium based browsers.

Only supporting a few specific browsers is a very bad practice for a web service in 2021. The whole point of the internet is to be open and offer freedom of options. The internet is built on official standards, so as long as my browsers is trying to follow those standards, it should not be unsupported. It would make more sense to just say you won’t support outdated browsers or old versions of modern browsers.

Good news. I figured out how to take back control of Ctrl. Websites should not be hijacking Ctrl, that is a crime against humanity. You can take back control with this Tampermonkey script. It works. We shouldn’t have to go to these lengths just to prevent Ctrl hijacking, so I’m still extremely pissed off about this, and they should still be very ashamed of themselves for doing this at all, but at least it’s an option that works. You might have to install the Tampermonkey extension, or some browsers support Tampermonkey user scripts out of the box, for which you would have to lookup how to install/add one. Here is a very simple script that only prevents Asana from hijacking Ctrl and nothing else:

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Prevent Asana Ctrl Hijacking
// @version      0.1
// @description  Prevent Asana Ctrl Hijacking
// @match        *://*.app.asana.com/*
// @run-at       document-start
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';

document.addEventListener('keydown', e => {
        if (e.ctrlKey) {
            e.cancelBubble = true
            e.stopImmediatePropagation()
        }
    })
})();
1 Like

Of course my script no longer works now because it is relying on Asana internals that are not guaranteed to stay the same. All that is expected and fine. What is not fine is the fact that Asana messes up with what the control key does. This goes against user rights. Users have the right to control what they keys on their keyboard do. Asana is the only website I currently use that hijacks and messes what the control key does. It should be illegal to do this to people unless you at least provide a setting that allows us to disable it. Ethically, this is just as bad as sneaking into my house, and secretly reprogramming my keyboard to behave differently when I’m using the Asana website. They are both offensive and inappropriate. I should be able to call the police and have them come arrest you for modifying my keyboard which is my own private property. I understand this is just a feature of JavaScript and I could choose to turn off JavaScript or not use Asana. If that’s how you are thinking about this, you are missing the point. I mean, really, you want your users to stop using your website and make the entire internet unusable by turning off JavaScript? This is an abuse of JavaScript on your part. Please stop engaging in such shameful behavior.

Would love the option to turn off this shortcut / edit any shortcuts. It is a little disruptive to my browser experience.