New workflow automation solution is available

This is what the Asana API team communicated in January:

We currently estimate that these new changes will be generally available before the end of February.

I don’t know if that’s exactly accurate still, but if not, I don’t imagine it’d be too far off from that time frame.

Thanks Phil and wow so close!

How long do you think it would take you to update your application after they made that change? My apologies for so much detail, just want to set the expectation as best I can for timeline.

@DanielGonzo I’ll send you a PM - have a few questions for you.

Sounds great!

Hi @Phil_Seeman , I am a game development PM and I am experimenting a bit with Flowsana’s trial to give a little shake-up to our workflow.

I have few questions regarding the IF-THEN rules I am thinking about for the new workflow I am planning, but I’d like your insight or help in figuring out the best solutions.

The workflow I am planning is as follow:

We create a custom field with 3 possible variable values: To Test, Editor, No Test. These depend on the nature of the task (ex.: a programming task will need to be tested in QA, while some specific ones will need to be done in Editor -so not done by our QA-, and tasks related to visuals will not need to be tested at all).

The first step of my idea is that by marking a task as complete in the “In Progress” section of my board, the task will be automatically moved to either a “To Test”, “Review” or a “Done” section, depending on the value of the custom field.

The second step is that, when a task is added to the “To Test” section, it is automatically marked as complete and added to the dedicated QA board.

If I create a rule by which all tasks containing a certain custom field get added to a specific section, this happens as soon as we add that field. But what if we want to add that field at the beginning of the sprint (to better keep track of which needs that field and the ones who don’t) and have that rule enter in action only at a later date (see above: only when a task is marked as complete), is there a way to do it?

How can I create a rule/rules so that if I complete a task in a section it gets added to a certain project, BUT ONLY if it is in that specific section? (ex.: I need a rule that says that only tasks that get completed in the “To Test” section can be added to the QA board - but I only see a possible rule that says “If a task is marked as complete is moved to section X”, so this works for ALL tasks )

How can I create a rule/rules so that a task ends in a specific section BUT ONLY if it contains a certain tag/custom field?

Feel free to reach me out to talk about it!

Hi @Filippo_Gabello!

At the moment, Flowsana rules don’t support multiple conditions/triggers, which is what you really need for your scenario. We are definitely planning to add that capability, but not sure exactly when that’ll happen.

You could do what you’re wanting with a few custom Asana rules but that would require being at the Asana Business subscription level; are you only at Free or Premium?

Hi @Phil_Seeman , at the moment our company is running the Free version, and we are making some experiments to see if a Premium/Flowsana or Business/Flowsana combination could adapt to our new workflow.