New workflow automation solution is available

@Jill_Schoff
Thanks for your interest, Jill! Stay tuned here in the forum, will let folks know when it’s out of testing.

@Todd_Cavanaugh
Todd, that would be awesome, thanks! I’ll reach out to you at the appropriate time.

Has this been released yet? I would love to start utilizing it ASAP!

1 Like

Not quite yet; the plan is to release it later this month. Stay tuned here - I’ll announce it here for sure. (There is actually a third workflow type coming within the next few days, now in final testing, which I’ll also announce here!)

3 Likes

@Phil_Seeman This is exactly what we would need in order to make Asana viable for our Project Management. I submitted the form, please let me know if there’s anything else we can do or any more information we can provide.

Hi @Bryan_Nelson,

I have your form and will be sending you info tomorrow (Wed) on accessing the beta.

FYI I know you mentioned using Smartsheet and looking to switch to Asana; you may be interested to know that I modeled Flowsana’s Duration and Lag Time design specifically on Smartsheet. (Shhhh don’t tell them.) :slight_smile:

Announcing a new workflow automation type: IF-THEN Rules!

I’ve just added the ability to create If-Then Rules in Flowsana to enable a whole new variety of automation possibilities.

It’s a little bit like Zapier for those familiar with that solution - but more fully-featured, and totally Asana-specific.

Here is the current set of Conditions (the “IF” part) and Actions (the “THEN” part) that are available:

Here are just a few examples of the types of things you can automate with If-Then Rules:

If a task is moved to the Completed column, mark it complete.

If a task is marked complete, move it to the Completed column.

If the Priority custom field is set to Urgent, assign the task to Mary Smith.

If it’s a new task, assign it to John Wilcox.
(FYI this provides the ability to automatically assign all new tasks in a project to you.)

If a task is tagged with the Active tag, add it to the Marketing Activities project.

If a task is moved to the Urgent Tasks column, set its Priority custom field to Pants On Fire.

And this is just the initial set of available Conditions and Actions; I envision adding more over time.

If-Then Rules are now available as part of the Flowsana beta. If you’re already a beta tester, you’ll see them on the screen where you add a new workflow. If you’re interested in beta testing but haven’t yet signed up, you can still do so by filling out this short form.

I look forward to hearing feedback from testers as you try out If-Then Rules!

10 Likes

That is very exciting!

This sounds really powerful. Will the rules work across the organization and/or per Project?

This sounds excellent, @Phil_Seeman. Clever, highly functional design. Bravo!!

Thanks, @Vince_Mustachio! The rules are project-specific; you select a project and then specify the rule to add for that project. One of the main reasons for that design is that the Asana API doesn’t provide a way to be notified of changes across an organization, only on a per-project basis.

I do, however, have a “Copy Rule” function on the planned product roadmap to make it easy to copy an existing rule to additional projects without having to rebuild it for each one (although it only takes a few seconds to build a rule!).

3 Likes

Thanks, Larry! I initially considered a more open-ended rule-building approach like Zapier uses, but I know Zapier can be somewhat daunting with its complexity, so I opted instead for a more pre-built approach for its simplicity. As I just mentioned to Vince above, it literally takes just a few seconds and a handful of clicks to build a rule.

3 Likes

Thanks for the response. Both a global rule and a per Project rule would be nice. But if I had to pick one, the granularity of a per Project rule would win.

Your plan for a copy rule function in the future, will be a nice addition.

Great project @Phil_Seeman, nice implementation.

Any plans to make this available to free Asana users in future?
I see, you’re going towards what Butler did for Trello, and since I was one of their early users, would really like to try this If made available to all users.

Phil, once Flowsana is out of beta, is it expected to be a free, freemium, or paid service?

1 Like

@D111, no plans to make Flowsana available for free Asana users at the moment - largely because it currently relies on the existence of start dates and custom fields for a bunch of its capabilities (which of course aren’t available on the free Asana plan). I would have to make a scaled-down version that provided a subset of capabilities for free Asana users. But “never say never” - it’s something I might consider in the future!

1 Like

@MPrewitt, once out of beta, it’ll be a paid service. No final decision on a price point yet but it’ll be based on the number of users in one’s Asana organization.

1 Like

Hi Phil,

Do you know when this will be rolled out?

Many thanks

@adinailie
Stay tuned here, news on that is coming today.

Hi all,

I’m happy to announce that Flowsana is now out of beta and has officially launched! You can read all about it in this forum post:

5 Likes

Congrats @Phil_Seeman :raised_hands:t3: