New List View Productivity Issues

Features the Old List View had that the New List View does Not have:

• Ability to Edit Due Dates without Opening Each Task Details View (i.e. click the Due Date displayed on a Task in the List and Calendar opens to select date)

• Ability to Edit Assignee without Opening Each Task Details View (i.e. click the Assignee displayed on a Task in the List and dropdown opens to select users)

• Ability to Edit Multiple Task Due Dates and Assignees from the List View (i.e. while this can be done in the Details section, selecting multiple Tasks from the List view and then editing on the List side is now gone and trying to do this results in the Tasks being unselected which slows users who are used to this feature - after years of it being there)

• Text Field of Task Name Extending all the way to the Right up to the Assignee and Due Date (i.e. clickable field extends the entire blank space between start of Task Name to the Due Date - now it is only as long as the actual characters entered, meaning the clickable space is smaller and varied by Task Name)

*Ability to save Description, Comments, Files, Subtasks, and Tags on Sections

• Ability to mark Sections Complete

• Ability to include Sections on Multiple Projects (i.e. add a Project to a section, preventing the need to recreate sections on a secondary Project that shares a Section and its Tasks)

• Ability to see secondary Projects on Tasks in List view

• Ability from one selected Task in clicking Enter to create new Task (users must now click Enter twice - never add more steps, cut steps instead)

• Tab+N does not create new Section after Section cursor is in (it will create a new Section after the selected Task)

• Turning a Task into a Section or a Section into a Task (this was destroyed by the removal of the semi-colon feature)

• The Ability to create a Section in the middle of Tasks (this was also destroyed by the removal of the semi-colon feature)

• Sort by Due Date (only sort options are now alphabetically and likes–why would anyone want likes over sorting by Due Date? What possible internal business model runs on likes - i.e. popularity - over Due Dates - i.e. decided priority/must complete by?)

• Integration with Calendar View: Sections and Tasks appeared in My Tasks Calendar View with the Color chosen for their Project (Subtasks never have appeared as colored, so replacing Sections with Tasks and Tasks with Subtasks to keep a semblance of the previous use of Sections, undoes the use of Project color coding–it also means List view does not show Subtasks, as it never has unlike a product like Todoist, which has Tasks, Subtasks, Subtasks, etc.)

I’m sure there are more features that were lost, but this is a very, very long list of lost features already. I have scores of continuous Projects that were broken up into (hundreds of) closing Sub-Projects that were denoted by the use of Sections. I cannot restructure all that data. That is weeks of productivity that I cannot devote to this. I’m sure not the only one as I’ve seen versions of parts of this topic before, but I wanted to gather together all the features we lost in this update into a single topic. This update actually limits Asana’s already limited hierarchy system. I would have liked to see more of an indentation system as I have seen in programs such as Todoist or Workamajig’s Schedules feature, but Asana has moved further away from this.

Updates should not remove features. This shouldn’t have to be said. The lack of these features greatly impacts the productive use of Asana on mobile and/or high project volume users. Before moving forward with any more “improvements”, please make sure that the productivity of users due to current or recently lost functions is not slowed down or brought to a standstill. Asana is, after all, a productivity program. Impacting productivity negatively is not acceptable in this industry. Or at least, it shouldn’t be. Do not create new features that destroy previous features. And current responses here about the inability to roll back the update per account on a voluntary basis or the “solution” that previous Sections with data were created as Tasks under the new Sections are the customer service equivalent of a shrug that addresses none of the concerns users have. So the real question is when are we going to see the features we already had before the update come back. Not what are they planning next. When is Asana going to fix what the update broke?

Apparently, I missed a feature that we no longer can do: Add a new task not under a section.

Hi @ARadcliff and my sincere apologies for the delay in responding to you.

First of all, thanks for the detailed feedback, we really appreciate it. I’m sorry to hear the new list view has disturbed your workflow, and hopefully, I can help with some tips and advice.

Please note that we do not allow listing multiple feedback on one thread as it quickly becomes confusing for other people engaging to understand what they’re referring to, and it makes it nearly impossible for us to follow-up on your request. For this reason, I’ve gone ahead and closed this thread and will redirect you to existing threads we have on these topics (or ask you to create separate ones if some topic aren’t yet covered).

This is also possible int the new view, you do not need to open the task details to edit the assignee or due date, simply click in these fields to quickly edit them. You can also use shortcuts to gain some time (“Tab+A” to edit Assignee and “Tab+D” to edit the Due Date).

Our team is currenlty working on making this possible without opening the task details, I’ll make sure to post an update in #community-forum-announcements:product-updates as soon as it becomes available.

We have an existing thread on this topic, so I’d recommend adding your vote if you haven’t already: Ability to Click on task title to open task details. - #2 by lpb

Please add your vote to: Mark Sections as Complete (in new spreadsheet List view)

I don’t believe we have an existing thread for this specific feedback, so I’d recommend creating a new post in #productfeedback

That’s already possible, just make sure that the Project Field is enabled on your project (see screenshot below)

This is already the case when you’re finishing typing the previous tas title, but you’re correct, if your focus isn’t on the previosu task title, you need to click Enter twice

See "Tab+N" our new shortcut to create Sections - #65 by Phil_Seeman for more info

Feel free to create a new thread in the #productfeedback for this specific point, I’m confident this will be super popular in the Forum!

Correct, however you can convert a task into a Section just before you start typing its title using Tab+N. If you’d like this to be possible even after typing the title, please create a separate #productfeedback thread!

The Sort by Due date feature was definitely not removed see screenshot below + this article: https://asana.com/guide/help/views/boards#gl-sort If you can’t see it on your end, please report the issue in #tipsandtricks and make sure to shate a screenshot so we can look further into this for you.

1 Like