New Employee Onboarding with Template Introduction

Hi,
My first big project with Asana was to build an onboarding template for new employees. It worked out great. Two new team members are starting on Tuesday, and all the template needs is a quick introduction to Asana. There are a lot of great ‘getting started’ training videos about building projects etc. But is there an article or video specifically set up to introduce a new employee who’s starting in the Asana employee onboarding template?

2 Likes

Hi @Lia_Sparks

not sure if I got your question right.
Are you searching for a description on how to use the Asana onboarding project template?
Then this article might help: Free Onboarding Checklist Template for New Hires [2023] • Asana

Or are you searching for an article on how to onboard new employees on the Asana functionalities?

1 Like

I’m looking for an article for a new employee instructing them on how to use their first (onboarding) project. The template instructions are for the one setting up the template – lots of the Asana introductions seem to start with “how to build a project” but the new employees don’t need to know all of that on their first day. They just need to know how to work through the tasks provided. Is there a brief introductory article that starts with “How to use this project?” to get them started?

1 Like

Did you have a look at the Asana Academy?

I mean Asanas overall „way of thinking“ is project orientated. So to my understanding it is mandatory to understand what a project is about before you dig into the details of how tasks work.

Leaving that out doesn’t provide a whole picture of Asana and where the actual user is at when clicking through.

1 Like

Hey - there’s an Asana project for that called Asana Basics Traning. When in your own Asana, if you go to Projects > New Project > Templates > Cross Team Planning you’ll see it listed there.

1 Like

What Asan level(s) include the “onboarding” feature? Is is available in the “Individua/Small Teams” category of the Starter and/or Advance options? Thank you! -MaryAnn Schumacher

Hi @MaryAnn_Schumacher ,

Welcome to the forum! Are you asking about who has access to project templates (including asana-curated onboarding templates) or to the new custom onboarding feature?

All users can access the template library (or create their own). Additionally, the Asana academy gives you take-away kits in some trainings that work great for onboarding new users.

The custom onboarding feature is available for Enterprise/Enterprise+ accounts.

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your response. I’m referring to the feature that has template(s) for onboarding a new employee into our organization. I saw it under one of the options but now I can’t find it! Before we purchase Asana, we want to be sure the option we choose INCLUDES the ‘new employee onboarding’ feature.

Thanks again!
MaryAnn

Outlook-2fmxvl1q.png

1 Like

@MaryAnn_Schumacher - If you check the custom onboarding link, it outlines that feature (it’s basically automating the placement of new team members into a team and creating a personal onboarding project for them from a template that you build/specify).

If you don’t choose that plan level (enterprise/+ is the highest), you can still do largely the same thing, but you’ll have to do it manually. I.e., you can invite people to your team and pre-create an onboarding project for them from a template. The main difference really comes down to manual vs. automatic and enforcing good standards across your team.

1 Like

Lia, what Asana level did you use for your employee onboarding? Thanks, MaryAnn

1 Like

Hi MaryAnn, we currently have the advanced division plan, but I think we were still using the free or basic version when I first made the onboarding template. Go to “New Project,” Select “Templates” and there is an onboarding template you can edit to fit your needs, and then save it as your own custom onboarding template. I hope that helps!

1 Like

Hi @Stephen_Li : I’m trying to locate the “Onboarding template” in the free version of Asana so I can practice using it before we purchase Asana for our team. Where do I find that template? Thank you! -MaryAnn Schumacher

1 Like

@MaryAnn_Schumacher do you refer to this template?

Here and here is some info as well.

2 Likes