Migrate projects from Basecamp 3

Hi there,

We are a small nonprofit. We have many projects in BaseCamp3 and want to migrate them to Asana. Asana only seems to import csv files and Basecamp only seems to export data into a set of HTML pages. We are not looking for an ongoing integration between the applications – this would be for a one-time migration. (Prior forum posts seem to only have the ongoing integration recommendation). We want to import the data and then retire the Basecamp account. Does anyone have a recommendation? We don’t have the staff to manually re-enter all of the project information.

Hi Mark!

One thing you can try, if Basecamp info is downloaded as an HTML table, is the following:

• open the HTML file in Excel (or other similar tool) - it should open as a table;
  • save is as CSV;
  • try importing to Asana.

Please let me know if it works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Mark_Nelson, thanks for reaching out!

Adding to what @anon73279747 mentioned, you can find the steps to import your CSV file to Asana in this article.

I hope this helps!

Hi,

I have similar question. I tried the solution suggested, i don’t see a table from the HTML from basecamp. When i save it as CSV it only shows the name of the projects we had in basecamp - no tasks and other details from each projects.

I checked from the article, the table shown there was different that what i got. Not sure if im doing it wrong or i got the wrong file.

Hi @Mark_Nelson Just checking in to see if you had success migrating from Basecamp to Asana. I may be doing this soon and want to see what issues you may have faced. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi there.

I’m in the same boat as @Paula_Holsberry and need to migrate data from Basecamp into Asana. I know Monday.com is able to do this via api calls. I’d love it if I could do the same with Asana.

I will try the HTML to table/csv route to see how possible that is, but a direct migration would be much better and seamless.

Thanks,
Akshay

@Mark_Nelson, any luck on the migration from Basecamp to Asana? Or will I need to recreate projects in Asana?