Merging Multiple Custom Fields With the Same Data into One Global Field

Hello Team,

We realized today after linking a task across multiple projects that our City & State field is not a global field, but instead unique to each project.

As a result, duplication of the same City & State field will appear (Multi-homing) after we link the projects together.

I would like to update the City & State field into a Global Field. However, is there an easy way to make this change across multiple projects at once without having to delete the existing city & state field and then re-enter the global city & state field for every single task under every project?

That would’ve been a nightmare given how much data I will need to re-enter.

It would be nice if I can automatically convert the fields into the same global field for multiple project at once.

I greatly appreciate your insights!

@Justin_He1,

There isn’t an automated solution for this, but with sorting (grouping) by this field, and using multi-select to update 50 items at a time, and using advanced search (or possibly going project-by-project, it can be speeded up quite a bit. When I do this I use those approaches, and then can do one action for each city/state combination only, often.

Hope that helps,

Larry

Hello Ipd,

I greatly appreciate the insights!

Can you add some color regarding the “Multi-select / advance search” solution?

Given that each task has a different City & State, I cannot update them using multi-select, as the fields will be updated into the same input all at once. See screenshot below.

@Justin_He1,

A couple things that may help:

First, I didn’t mean to use the Edit Fields menu item that you’re showing. I meant instead to see columns for both the old valued custom field and the new not-yet-valued custom field, sort by the old value, multi-select a matching set of them (up to 50) and change them with direct manipulation (see the outlines below):

Other good ideas are presented in this video by Bastien:

Hope that helps,

Larry

1 Like

I updated the screenshot because I had failed to capture the highlight around the two selected cells–those cells that would all change at once upon change to any single one in the set.