Logical Framework

Hello,

Plenty of donor ask to design project using the logical framework (logframe). It exists million of document on line to explain it, this is just on amongst the other.
In a logframe there are plenty of indicator and result to achieve.

I would like to see examples of implementation in Asana, and how it helps the monitoring and evaluation. Of course, it can be done using business version, but since many NGO can’t afford it, I wonder how to set this with a free account.

I’d b happy to discuss of that with you folk,

Regards

1 Like

Hi @Guillaume_Soto, and thanks for attending our nonprofits webinar earlier today:

I wasn’t really familiar with logframe but have just skimmed a few articles including the one you linked. In order to represent this Asana’s free version, as you request, my quick answer would be the following (recognizing that it seems there are many versions of logframe and application to different-sized efforts would likely require different approaches than this, but it’s a start at lest!):

• Create Asana Project: “Effort X Logframe”
  • In List View, create Sections, in order: Goal, Objectives, Outputs, Activities, Inputs
  • In each Section, create Task(s) needed to address the topic of that Section (this will vary from effort to effort)
  • For each one of those Tasks (except those Tasks under Inputs), use the same structure, either placing it in the Description field with rich text, or instead using Subsections (Tab+N while in Subtasks)/Subtasks instead, to capture the following information for each Task:
    • Objectively Verifiable Indicators
      Indicator 1
      Indicator 2
    • Means of Verification
      Means 1
      Means 2
    • Assumptions
      Assumption 1
      Assumption 2

There would be many benefits to using Asana for logframe.

Many of the built-in Asana benefits that would help to develop the logframe, e. g., the Comments thread on each to allow participants to discuss/improve, and all the other collaboration benefits inherent in Asana (notifications, etc.) would help out too.

Specifically the Activities Section’s Tasks are the bread and butter of Asana–work management. Those are a natural for using an app like Asana in particular, but all the other content is easily managed as well.

You surely have more experience than I do in logframe–what do you think? Is this a helpful start? Certainly with Premium or Business even more can be done, but I don’t think it’s required by any means.

Thanks,

Larry

2 Likes

Hi Larry,

Thank you for your long and detailled message. I created a project following you recommendation. It could perfectly work, for small project and really help some NGO.
Asana is very efficient to follow activities and collaborate around them.

I have the feeling that to do a deep and accurate Monitoring and Evaluation, you should either have a paid version, or another tool like airtable… And I’m not even sure a paid version could perfectly word, since evaluation needs sometime a lot of calculation, and Asana just propose 1 indicator per objective… I gonna deep this, I share my experiences

Thanks,

Guillaume S.

1 Like

Thanks, @Guillaume_Soto, for your thoughtful reply.

I’m glad you feel that the simple version for Asana Basic (free) will help in smaller efforts; that was my hope and intent.

I agree a more robust solution is needed for more complex efforts. I always like to envision a solution quickly in Asana (perhaps Asana Business) and see if it can achieve the “musts” and at least the key “wants” and maybe throw in some nice “bells and whistles.” If sufficient, great. If not, then another app for sure, Don’t rule out this feature of Asana Business: the Sync to Google Sheets (also works with Excel) can actually handle a live data hourly update and permit any calculation, included in Asana Business. I hope you’ll report back your findings and we can keep the thread going.

Thanks,

Larry