Instead of SMART Criteria for Goals and Objectives, Consider SMARTIE adding "Inclusive" and "Equitable"

SMART criteria (Wikipedia) are helpful in knowing how to specify your goals. The mnemonic is defined with differing terms by some, but the most common ones are:

• Specific (or Strategic)
  • Measurable (or Motivating)
  • Achievable (or Attainable)
  • Relevant (or Realistic)
  • Time-bound (or Time-limited)

There are various extensions or replacements of the mnemonic as well (see link above).

But a new one to me that I will try to use next time originates from The Management Center (they help leaders working for social change) and is found at SMARTIE Goals Worksheet. They define them as follows; note in particular the addition of the last two criteria:

• Strategic
    Reflects an important dimension of what your organization seeks to accomplish (programmatic or capacity-building priorities).
  • Measurable
    Includes standards by which reasonable people can agree on whether the goal has been met (by numbers or defined qualities).
  • Ambitious
    Challenging enough that achievement would mean significant progress—a “stretch” for the organization.
  • Realistic
    Not so challenging as to indicate lack of thought about resources, capacity, or execution; possible to track and worth the time and energy to do so.
  • TIme-Bound
    Includes a clear deadline.
  • Inclusive
    Brings traditionally marginalized people—particularly those most impacted—into processes, activities, and decision/policy-making in a way that shares power.
  • Equitable
    Seeks to address systemic injustice, inequity, or oppression.

Googling “smartie goals” will uncover articles and examples that may help in getting more familiar with these.

Hoping this may prove helpful,

Larry

20 Likes

Excellent post - these are two great additions to that model!

3 Likes

OMG yassss i love this

1 Like