Include Project description in Search results

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: I often search addresses in Asana to find what project it is related to. Our addresses are always found in the Description for the project, but it doesn’t seem that using Search covers that area.

Steps to reproduce: Search for something you know is in the Description of a Project and view zero results or results that do not include that project.

Browser version: Google

Upload screenshots below:

Only uploading one image doesn’t help show you, but here’s the search that doesn’t show what I’m looking for even though I know it’s there.

1 Like

Hi @Mandy2 and welcome to the Forum!:wave:

I understand what you mean here. Unfortunately, this is not a bug, but rather a search limitation.
As it stands, the Search does not cover the Project Description.

I’ve gone ahead and moved this thread to the #productfeedback category to allow all of you to comment and submit their vote. I’ve also slightly edited the title to make this thread more discoverable to other users.

Please, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Have a great day! :grinning:

1 Like

Natalie - any update on this? It would be incredibly helpful to be able to produce reports or searches on words or phrases in the Project description (i.e. be able to select the search for either “All”, “Tasks”, “Conversations” or “Project Description”).

I am think here of putting clients’ industry codes in the Project Description. Given the regularity that people are going to want to search by industry groups, I cannot understand why this isn’t already a feature.

Kevin Swannack

Unfortunately not @Kevin_Swannack but rest ensure that I’ll keep you informed here as soon as I get an update. In the meantime I would suggest you to have a look at this great workaround provided by our Certified Pro Larry and in case you have missed it, you can also have a look at the integration Asana2Go recommended here.

I hope this helps Kevin! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, just finding out my searches weren’t including the descriptions (or comments). Pretty surprised by that honestly. Huge damper on my decision to use Asana. Any plans to include this?

I am not sure this is true, the search does search within task comments and task descriptions… The post related to project description.

Ah, i see. I totally misread the subject here. Thanks for pointing that out.

Also correct about the searching. I assumed it wasn’t finding the tasks, because I wasn’t seeing the right tasks in the dropdown list that shows up while you’re typing the search term. I guess only matching task titles show up there.

In order to do the full search that includes descriptions, etc, I needed to hit enter or click “View all results with …”.

Thanks for your reply, which got me to take another stab at it!
d

Exactly!

Is there a setting that I need to enable to allow Asana to search project descriptions? Even hitting the enter key doesn’t seem to work. We have needed to enter as many search terms as possible into the project titles in order to get any reasonable project search functionality. You can imagine how long our project titles are and that causes problems when there are multiple projects with similar names and they all get truncated in different areas of the Asana interface (some have hover text and some don’t), causing you to select the wrong project every time. Hard to believe the task descriptions would be indexed but the project descriptions do not. I must be missing something obvious. Would love to be able to create concise project titles, but being able to search projects is a requirement.

This is a huge limitation. Why have the description and add information there if we cannot search for it? To do otherwise requires us to remember exactly what we did and where we did it if we want to find it again.

2 Likes