Idea: Timeline that gives an overview of projects instead of tasks

YES. Having a timeline view for Projects would be invaluable.

This would be a great way for Asana to improve on management of multiple projects, which is well behind Asana’s ability to manage tasks. This is a great opportunity for Asana to improve on an area that users have disappointed with in the past.

I would suggest:

• Adding a start date to Projects, which already have due date.
  • Adding Project dependencies, like Task dependencies.
  • Adding a timeline view to the dashboard.
  • Supporting Sections on timelines. (Which works but needs to be an official feature to be able to rely on it.)
  • Support Section dependancies. (Which may work. I haven’t tested, but also would need to be an official feature to rely on it.)

In the mean time @paulminors suggests a workaround here.

You could create a “Projects” Project with a Task to represent each Project. Those “Project” Tasks could be given start and due dates and then visualized on the “Projects” Project timeline.
And to add more functionality, you could multihome each “Project” Task that represents a Project into a the Project it represents. This way you not only have a “Projects” Project that represents the start and duel dates of all your Projects. You also have a clear view from each Project of the Project start and end dates in the list view and the timeline view. (Actually, now that I’ve fully thought this out, I’ve got to go do it.)

1 Like