How to create a dashboard card using a calculated custom field

Hello, I’d love so help figuring out what I am doing wrong :slight_smile:

I am trying to do something that should be quite basic and straight forward but for some reason it won’t work.

I have 3 custom fields which are currently used in several projects to track number of story points spent on each task within the project, one field has the estimated points, one the actual points and one simple formula field that gives the delta between those two. Then I am trying to create a report card that shows the total delta amount of each project but for some reason it just keep showing up an empty graph, as if all delta amount were zero, but that is not the case.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks! :pray:

Hi @Monica_Kuijt_Rumayor ,

Welcome to the forum! Could you confirm that your setup is as follows:

• A global custom field (estPts) of type number
  • A global custom field (actPts) of type number
  • A global custom field (ptsDiff) of type formula, which is ${estPts} - ${actPts} (or the reverse)

Your chart would be a task report pulling tasks from your org (or team or however these projects are grouped) with the x-axis = project and y-axis = sum of ptsDiff. I just tested this and it’s working as expected for me.

1 Like

Hi @Stephen_Li

Thanks a lot for your answer. Indeed that is how I’ver set up the fields.

I see now that my mistake was trying to build a project report instead of a tasks report. I’ve done it like you describe and am able to see data now in the graph. Unfortunately the one thing is that I don’t seem to be able to use project level fields like ‘project type’ or ‘project status’.

Is this just how it works or am I missing something?

Thanks again so much for your help :slight_smile:

I meant to say don’t seem to be able to use project level fields like ‘project type’ or ‘project status’ to filter the graph

@Monica_Kuijt_Rumayor - unfortunately, this is expected behavior. I agree that being able to use project-level information to filter task reports would be extremely helpful. I couldn’t find a thread in the Product Feedback category that exactly addresses that, so feel free to create your own there so others in the community can lend their voices in support!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.