How can I request a project status update?

I’d like to be able to click a button to be able to request a status update on a project that I have assigned my team to complete. How can I do this? I don’t want to send them an email outside of Asana, I just want to be able to prompt them to provide an update.

1 Like

@Brandon_Rhue, I recall (I think) that this actually used to be a feature on the Progress tab–to request the project owner deliver another status update. I too think that would be a nice feature–a simple Request Update link. For now, you can manually add a new task assigned to the project owner (perhaps with a due date) and in the description @reference/autocomplete the project name; it should be quick and doesn’t involve email.

Larry

1 Like

I think you can make a request with Business Portfolios.
Nevertheless, for Premium or free, the project owner can click a “remind me to update status every Friday” button so that he receives every Friday a task asking him to update the status. This can be done from the progress panel of the owner.

1 Like

Hi @Brandon_Rhue,

You could set your team members a recurring task every Friday to give a status update of the project. We do this on our team and it works pretty well. I have the recurring tasks in a project management/Asana project where I also have some recurring tasks to clean up in boxes, consider deleting/archiving projects, and annual cleanup tasks for the team. It helps keep Asana clean and tidy.

I hope this helps,
Katie

1 Like

I just had a look and could not see anything…

Have you checked as mentionned in the guide?

Nice. It would only work the first time then?

I guess it works all the time, but I can’t try I’m Premium, @Marie may confirm.

I just tried. When a status exists, the button moves to the top of the screen. And what the button does is only offer to create a task asking for an update, nothing else.

Hi all, and apologies for the late follow-up!

You’ve all come up with great answers and workarounds, thank you all for your contributions :clap:t3:I can confirm that with a Business plan, you can request status updates following the steps shared by @Julien_RENAUD. As @Bastien_Siebman explained, it generates a generic reminder task, automatically assigned to the project owner.

As Premium and Free users, your best shot is to follow @Katie_Reynolds advice and create a recurring task for project owners. Alternatively, like @Julien_RENAUD mentioned, project owners can enable automatic reminders for project updates.

Hope this helps! :à

2 Likes