Goals filtering hierarchy

The following refers to the “Company Goals” and “Team Goals” views.

While filtering goals according to quarters, there is no way to keep the parent goal in sight.
If a KR is nested under an objective, the objective might be a yearly objective, while the KRs nested under it might be quarterly.
For instance, if you filter according to Q4, the parent Objective disappears (because it is set as a yearly goal) and there is no longer any hint for what the parent goal is any more. But if you choose to filter according to a specific quarter and choose to view the yearly goal as well, then the Q filter becomes irrelevant as any and all goals nested under the yearly goal are displayed as well (Q1,Q2,Q3…).

I have a few Ideas on how to solve this:

• Filtering with hierarchy #1 - When filtering according to year, if a second filter is chosen as well (Q4 for instance) then all Q4 goals will be displayed nested under their parent goal and other Q’s will be hidden.
  • Filtering with hierarchy #2 - When filtering according to year, if a second filter is chosen as well (Q4 for instance) then all Q4 goals will be highlighted and displayed while nested under their parent goal alongside all other Q’s that are greyed out.
  • Breadcrumbs - When filtering goals, keep the parent goal displayed underneath or above in a smaller font and slightly greyed out in order to keep tabs of where this goal belongs. Maybe even as a clickable link.

While the above refers to the “Company Goals” and “Team Goals” views, the problem extends further as “My Goals” doesn’t even have a filtering option, as well as when viewing within a specific goal there is no way to filter the goals nested within it, and although there are breadcrumbs when viewing within a specific goal, in my opinion they are poorly designed and confusing making it difficult to see the parent goal (especially if the goal has mor that 6 words or has grandparents).

At my company, this issue makes it difficult to use the goals feature directly in asana for reviewing progress on a monthly basis, and requires to go back to presentations with screenshots or tables with content that is already available in asana but difficult to see. It makes it hare to see the bigger picture.

I would love to see an improvement here as the tool is very useful for keeping track on goals, but not great presenting them, or navigating them.

Navigating goals can be quite awkward sometimes… We learned it ourselves by using Goals, and we often stumble onto the wrong filter being applied, or not applied…