Duplicating projects & using templates with date ranges

Hello there!

If this is a questions somewhere else, please redirect me. I just haven’t been able to find it yet.

We are just starting out in Asana at our org, and we’re playing around with duplicating projects and utilizing templates. Many of our projects use date ranges, and it appears that when you keep the due date field when duplicating a project or creating off of a template, you only get the due date and lose the option for a start date.

I did see that if you add new tasks, you regain the option on that task. Also, if you go into timeline, you can manually create ranges instead of due dates. However, it would be great if I’m just missing a setting or how to more easily do this, rather than task by task.

Let me know if I can clarify what we’re trying to do or the issue we’re having.

Thanks in advance!
-Taylor

And apologies for my several typing errors :flushed:

Hi @Taylor_Cohen and thank you for reaching out!

If there are set dates in these templates, when creating Projects using these Templates, all you need to do is choose a start date or an end date when creating the project and Asana will schedule all of the tasks for you.

You can learn more about it in the following guide article: How to Use Asana Project Templates | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

I hope this helps Taylor! Let me know if you have any follow-up question!
Have a great Wednesday!

Thanks @Natalia! That is helpful. Unfortunately, if I want to then adjust the dates after I’ve created the project, I’m only able to reset the due date and have no ability to create a new range on the task with a start date as well. Is that not possible when creating templates/duplicating projects?

Thanks again in advance!

@Natalia, thanks so much again - I actually think I figured it out. I believe the tasks I was testing this on are marked as milestones. I assume you can never have a date range on milestones - is that correct?

That is correct!

1 Like

Thanks @Phil_Seeman and @Natalia!

1 Like