Duplicate Task GID

Hello everyone,

I am created a python script that pulls data from Asana using the token key through the API. I manually created random tasks in a section of a project in Asana to test the code. When I pulled the data, I saw that most of the tasks had the same Task GID (duplicate ID) and I did not duplicated them from others when I created them.

Is this normal? I thought that tasks are given an individual ID when they are created.

Hi @JMBB.

I am 100% sure that you did something wrong when reading your data, it’s impossible that 2 tasks have the same GID. Maybe the parent, the membership, or other field, but not the gid of the task itself.

2 Likes

Thank you Frederic, I wanted to make sure that was the case. There must be something off in my code.

1 Like

Also, it’s pretty unlikely this is the issue but make sure you’re not examining the gids in a column of an Excel sheet; by default, Excel can’t handle the size of a gid (Excel thinks it’s a large number) and so it truncates the last digit, making some tasks look like they have duplicate gids.

2 Likes

Thank you @Phil_Seeman for your answer, that was actually the problem. I double-checked the code and ran as expected. It was Excel what was causing the issue.

1 Like

Aha!

Also I should have mentioned that Google Sheets does not have this issue; that’s what I always use when dealing with Asana gids in a spreadsheet.

1 Like