[Duplicate] merged tasks should be marked complete

Asana team - I know you mark a task as [Duplicate] when merge duplicate tasks. However, I recommend that you also mark the merged task as complete so it doesn’t appear still. It still seems duplicative and I would prefer for it to be out of sight, out of mind once a task is merged w/it’s duplicate.

Hi @Drew_Chin, thanks for this feedback!

While this feature isn’t available right now, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

@Drew_Chin, This is actually how it operates now, as explained in the caption when you Merge: “Merging will close this task as a duplicate and add its tags, collaborators, likes, dependencies, and a back-link to the selected task.”

It doesn’t mark it as complete but it marks it as closed, and closed tasks are hidden if you ask to view Incomplete tasks (as opposed to All tasks).

Given that behavior, what additional behavior are you asking for? If it’s specifically to mark the task as complete as well (check the checkbox), well, that may be an unpopular request because it’s not really known if that closed task is complete too. I bet that’s why Asana decided to make it behave as they do; seems the best they can do.

@Rebecca_McGrath, Unless I’m missing something the features is available now!

Thanks,

Larry

Is there a place to view the duplicated task count?

For example, we use the merge duplicate task inside a feature request project. So when features get requested and are a duplicate, we merge it and then manually update the requested account.

Would be cool to have it automatically tally all the duplicated tasks for you.

I have been using Duplicate Tasks for a few months and a recent update appears to have removed the back-link to the selected task. You can not access the closed duplicate task in the main task that is still open.

Please can this bug be looked into?