Due Date is approaching is active but not working

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
The new Rule (previously standard behaviour) Due Date is approaching is displayed as active but none of my tasks are move in the defined “Recently Assigned” section. Neither on my business organization nor my private one. As I found out it is broken for weeks now. Thanks Asana!

Steps to reproduce: Login → don’t see the most important things you need to do!!

Browser version: Firefox (latest updates)

Upload screenshots below:

Just so you know, it only applies to tasks that become due today. Any existing task, that were already due today or due yesterday, would not move.

Hi @Konstantin_Grupp, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

As @Bastien_Siebman mentioned, new Rules do not apply to existing tasks, only tasks that were created after the Rule was set up.

Can you please confirm if the tasks you are referring to were existing tasks?

Do I understand it correctly that all the tasks which I created prior to the breaking changes in asana do not work when I set a due date?

This rule is also not working for me.

It claims my section does not exist but I’m 99.9999% sure it does as per screenshot.

Any ideas?

No, your rules will apply to existing tasks, that’s not what Bastien was saying. What he and Rebecca were saying is that date triggers are only evaluated once each day at midnight, so if you mark a task as due “today”, it won’t move to the “Today” section.

1 Like

This means you’re running Asana in a Personal Projects workspace; those are no longer supported and you’re going to want to migrate off of it. See this post for more:

2 Likes

Good catch Phil!

Ah, I finally found out what the problem is. The rules need to be added in the form with the screenshot by clicking Create rule even though it exists. The UX is a little bit odd here.

What I don’t understand is why was the previous default behavior not just migrated! Hopefully next time you find a migration process which works automatically since it is NOT an On Premise product where you can expect the user checks release notes or similar stuff.

Because you can now customize sections so this is impossible, each person will have custom sections…

In addition to what Bastien mentioned, I know that Asana’s viewpoint was also that if they automatically created rules in peoples’ My Tasks, many people would not be aware of their existence and thus of the fact that they could now customize the movement of tasks between sections to meet their specifics needs. By “forcing” people to create the rules themselves, it teaches people that the rules exist and can be set up exactly how they want.

I’m not saying I advocate that position - in fact, I’m pretty sure I would have done it differently - but wanted to share their thinking.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 22 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.