Display Task ID on Asana Board

hey guys,
Is team asana even planning on this feature ?
we are currently paying for 10 members in asana…and this is the only thing which is stopping us from releasing project management to rest of the business of 35

2 Likes

The other issue here is you can’t search against the ID number. You can get it from the URL, but when you search Asana for the number you get no results.

2 Likes

new to Asana, but I’m kinda shocked there is no universal unique identifier for each “item” or whatever you call them that is simply exposed on all platforms, without having to look at the URL. This seems so obvious to me? With hundreds or thousands of items trying to remember the text string someone used for in the description to then search for a card is absurd.

2 Likes

Hi guys,

would it be of help to automatically transfer the Asana GID to a custom field just after the task was created? Please let me know :slight_smile:

Patrick

3 Likes

Yes, that would be a decent stopgap, as long as it’s searchable too. It would be nice if the ID we’renet a huge number, but its’ better than nothing.

2 Likes

For anyone interested in a third party solution to this, please check out our solution here: http://bit.ly/2yiDzxp. We allow a number to be added to a custom field, or add it to the beginning of the name of the task. You can also configure the starting value, length, padding, etc.

Send me a PM if you need any help or have more questions.

3 Likes

Oh, tight. Thanks!

Definitely not. We need an ID of four maximum five digits. Otherwise it is useless.
You do not say or write “Bob! please have a look at issue 5577 once again, it might be connected to 5543!” Nobody says or texts "Bob, please have a look at issue 1107984942174749 again, it might be connected to 1107984942174712. "

This is a big show stopper!

3 Likes

Fun fact: When contacting Asana support - guess what you get: A five-digit case-number. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

They are probably using JIRA to log those tickets :rofl:-- seems like such a huge oversight to not have a simple ticket naming/numbering feature. It is critical when referring to issues in conversation, commit messages, and pull requests.

Asana folks, please add this feature!

8 Likes

Its very important to have task id as its easy to refer and look up. In case there is duplicate tasks or issues we can close it using this reference.

1 Like

One of our business partners is asking us for a ticket number that they can keep on their system to have a cross reference.

Without this feature we will have to find another tool, most likely Jira.

2 Likes

So sad to leave for jira :confused:

2 Likes

Having the same issue. Company is looking to move to Asana from jira, but tasks seem to have no ticket number to reference. I need a ticket number for the git commit and to enter in other places in our workflow. I don’t understand how this is usable if I have no way to reference tasks. :frowning:

3 Likes

Hi Michael,

If you are open to using 3rd party services you can check out Astogi.com, it has been developed specifically to solve this specific problem that we are having too. Short and unique IDs per task is really something that is needed, especially when developing software.

I am not sure if promoting a 3rd party integration is allowed, but since Asana made it clear that they aren’t integrating this I think this won’t be an issue. If you have any question, please let us know! :slight_smile:

The unique reference Astogi creates is put in the task name automatically?

Any updates on this ? Further ASANA allows duplciating tasks but it also duplicates the task ID hence no longer a ‘unique’ identifying and defeating the purpose and the need for a unique identifying in the first place…seems no value in also duplicating task id…can you guys update so every tasks, parent or sub-tasks or sub, sub-tasks is unique, please…

I don’t think this is accurate, I’ve never seen the task ID’s be duplicated on Asana tasks when using the Duplicate Task feature.

1 Like

So I’ve come up with a fairly decent solution to this issue after beating my head against a wall for a couple of weeks. It involves Zapier (requires premium account) and their webhooks functionality (I should write a full blog post on setting it up or something). It takes setting up but once it’s all there it has been working like a dream.

In Asana: setup a custom field called Asana ID as a number with no formatting.

Then in Zapier: Trigger when a new Asana task is created, pull the custom_fields lines, grab the one that has the GID of the custom field and then setup a webhook put to apply the task id to the Asana ID custom field.

If anyone is interested maybe I’ll write up the full instructions when I get a little bit of free time but it is doable. I tested it when duplicating tasks and it even works for that (replaces the existing task id with the new one in a few seconds).

1 Like

I created a first version of my list of cool Zaps, make sure to reach out if you want to add yours iDO Tools - Improve Asana with our tools and automations