Deploy Custom Fields as Board Columns

Hello Asana, the new Rules is great and useful. However, using this to tie between custom fields to columns and project create a lot of redundant work.

The simplest way to sort everyone cross projects status nightmare and to get rid of the needs to create so many projects just to have different views is:

Allow user to select Custom filed and deploy as columns

That’s how you can deploy the columns across projects and keep in sync.
it also allows changing the project view depend on the need such as show the columns per status, or section or priority depend on your custom fields option.

Here is an example from Notion that doing it amazingly

3 Likes

Hi @Shneor :wave:

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us! We really appreciate it! This is certainly a great idea to explore in the future! :slight_smile:

Have a great week!

1 Like

Hi all,

I was wondering if it is planned to implement this like other applications (Notion, Coda, AirTable) over this.

I would like to switch columns depending on meta data selected.
This means, I have a huddle board showing Backlog, InProgress, Finished.
I would like to switch to a view that shows “Assigned to” people per column.
Or switch to Priority Type per Column.

I hope this makes sense? I found no similar topic in the forum.

Sorting is not a solution in my case.

Thanks

Tom

2 Likes

Hi @Tom_Solid :wave:

From what I understand your request is similar to this one: Deploy Custom Fields as Board Columns

If it’s OK with you I’m gonna merged your post with this main thread to consolidate feedback.
I would also suggest to add your vote by clicking on the “Vote” button at the very top of the thread!

Have a great Wednesday Tom!

3 Likes

Sure! I didn’t find this. Thanks for the heads up Natalia.

1 Like

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for. Any news if this on the Asana roadmap?

2 Likes

Not worries at all @Tom_Solid :smiley:
I don’t have any update to share at the moment but I’ll make sure to keep you posted as soon as I do!

2 Likes

It will save so much work and increase the functionality drastically!. Even with the new Rules, you need to create multiple boards for each custom field (we have 7 levels of this) and create dozens of rules to get near to what this basic functionality can provide.
This feature was needed a long time ago, and every time I thought, ho, they’re probably realising it soon, but not.

Add you VOTE’s

3 Likes

100% Agree

1 Like

Yes, this a an important feature that may keep us on Teamwork.com.

Definitely needed! Sections don’t always correlate with boards.

Does anyone else not have use cases where the AGILE approach via SCRUM or KANBAN would be ideal? I’m surprised this feedback does have more votes! :disappointed:

Viewing Backlog in a List View with Sections as the status for tasks doesn’t make sense, but it’s the only way for the Board view to be functional when managing tasks through a Sprint. This suggestion to have columns replaced by Custom Fields creates so much flexibility that helps make Asana a much more competitive platform for the AGILE approach.