Dependencies

Hello, I just set up dependencies on my timeline, but when I move one of the tasks to a future date, the tasks dependent on that tasks do not automatically update their due dates or place on the timeline. Am I doing something wrong or is there not a way to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sue

1 Like

Hi @sue2 and welcome to the forum!

Asana is just in the process of rolling out an enhancement where dependent dates will auto-shift if their dates conflict (overlap) with the changed date on the precedent task you updated. They actually had rolled out that feature but there was an issue with it, so they’ve temporarily rolled it back and are fixing the issue. You can read more here:

(Also FYI, if you’d prefer to have all dependent tasks auto-shift, as opposed to just those which are in date conflict, that capability is available in my Flowsana integration. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

are we sure this works? I just tried it and my dependent task didn’t update…

1 Like

Yes, it works provided that [a] you’re moving the antecedent task such that it ends up overlapping with its dependent task, [b] you perform that move in the timeline view, and [c] you have “Prevent dependency conflicts” enabled for that project (it’s enabled by default).

ah; I do not use timeline view; but would love for dates to update if preceding tasks are not complete. :frowning:

Just FYI Flowsana will do what you want - move dependencies in any view, and not just if there is an overlap… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am on a trial version of Asana, but just so I am clear, I would have to pay a separate monthly fee to flowsana to get Asana to shift dates based on dependencies?

Hi @anon39905366,

Yes, Flowsana is a separate product from Asana with its own monthly subscription.

Just to be 100% clear, as mentioned above Asana does do some dependency-shifting on its own; it’s just that Flowsana does it more universally, let’s say.

I just tried this but it didn’t work, dont know whether I’m doing wrong and there is some other issue.

Hi @Allene_Brick and welcome to the forum,

Can you give us some more detail as to what specifically you tried that didn’t work the way you expected? A screenshot would be great if possible.

We’d need more details to be able to provide any help. Thanks!

Make sure you’re doing it right, because I didn’t face any issue.

Yes exactly.