DATE - Custom Field Type

Hi Asana Community,

My name is Ben, and I work on the product marketing team here at Asana. Iā€™m really excited to announce that the team is actively investigating a solution for a date custom field, and we should have more updates for everyone later this year. All of these comments and feedback are so helpful, and we canā€™t wait to solve this pain point for you, stay tuned!

9 Likes

Ben, thank you for jumping in here as itā€™s been five years plus. Is asana too large to do a pre-mortem when releasing features that donā€™t offer integration fully with the platform?

Or is waiting 5+ years for a critical feature going to be the norm only after hundreds of people have commented and over 10,000 views of a thread are incurred?

1 Like

Please please PLEASE add this!! :pray:t3: :pray:t3: :pray:t3: We have hoped for this feature for a long while now. Thank you for acknowledging our dreams for a better future. I know this community would be ridiculously grateful!! Pretty please again. :pray:t3: :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Just adding my voice in to prioritize this feature. Seems like its been requested since 2017!

2 Likes

When can we have this feature? Adding a date field takes 5+ years???

1 Like

I say a lot of similar things in this comment - Keyboard Shortcut to Move a task to a specific section - #9 by Zane_Bartlett

but again, I do just want to say I greatly appreciate whenever I see updates before the feature is released, like this, when possible.

I understand there is a fine line to balance so that customers are not made more upset planning around mentions like this and something happens to the ETA of the feature. I do tend to think Asana is a bit too conservative with what they share about future updates though, but I see communication like this as an attempt and somewhat of an acknowledgement of the frustration seen on these feature requests forums.

Please donā€™t let people who say this isnā€™t enough, or still upset by these announcements be proof that they arenā€™t worth doing! I donā€™t think yā€™all should stop here, but I understand being careful in shifting the culture of transparency in development. Again, Thank you for the update!

1 Like

Two use cases Iā€™ve run into during my onboarding/implementation:

1. Baseline Dates: Iā€™d like to track the original target dates for completion
  2. Actual Completion Dates: Iā€™d like to track the above Baseline against the Actual

It seems odd that we need to use workarounds for these ā€œbasicā€ features needed to track performance and ensure accountability.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to track the deadline for a story (due date)ā€¦ but I also need to be able to have the date itā€™s supposed to be posted on our website. And the ability to toggle back and forth showing those dates on the calendar view.

4 Likes

Yesā€¦I suspect almost everyone has one or more special date types (Deadline, Checkin, Pre-Release etc.) theyā€™d like to be able to handle as a special date type instead of just text. Why this feels hard to Asana is unclear.

3 Likes

I still echo this! Canā€™t believe this was suggested 5 years ago lol

2 Likes

Well that was a journey reading through over 5 years of comments for what I would think to be a very basic add. Is this feature still not a thing?

2 Likes

No. :cry:

1 Like

It is never simple. Adding a field means adding it do desktop, mobile on iOS and Android, updating all the reports feature, dashboards, forms capabilities, updating the documentation, training CSM and AEs, updating the APIā€¦ To be honest, this is quite a big update IF you want to go all the way, and if you donā€™t go all the way people lose their s**t :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

To be fairā€¦ This is task/project Management software. It should have been included from the inception of the product and its not acceptable that its been over 5years of people begging for this basic functionality and just now we have barely received a ā€œweā€™re working on thisā€.

Bastien your message reads like youā€™re defending Asana and that doesnā€™t track well on this issue.

4 Likes

I think what Bastien is saying is that itā€™s a lot easier said than done. Yes, this should be a functionality, but itā€™s not a simple click of a button as Asana has a lot of moving parts to work within.

Theyā€™re whole platform has been built off of their main products working in sync and off of each other.

When building an application, certain functionality should be integrated from the get-go. This is one of those items.

Any developer can attest that itā€™s a lot less work to integrate features the first time around then to have to wait till later when thereā€™s much more to consider when rolling out the function. Makes it more time consuming and a larger lift now that thereā€™s a lot more involved in adding it.

I agree that it shouldā€™ve been implemented in the beginning. Following this thread, I donā€™t think anyone disagrees that it should have/should be implemented, but the way I see it is Asana focuses on their larger products and work their way down to the smaller details.

And yet again, thereā€™s no roadmap and no inside information is provided so this is purely my opinion.

Hy @Rebecca_McGrath ,

No news on this feature request since a long timeā€¦ It is really waiting by the community according to this topic and some others. Please can you provide us information ?

Thanks a lot

2 Likes

There was an update by the product team 25 days ago.

2 Likes

awesome!