DATE - Custom Field Type

5 years of people asking seems like there should have been some movement on this request? Are there no plans to fix this issue?

Hi all,

Just an update to let you know weā€™re looking to implement date custom fields sometime this year. I donā€™t have more precise information to share just yet, but I will update this thread as soon as I do!

15 Likes

This is amazing news!

1 Like

Hi, i donā€™t understand why i can create custom field with number, text single-select and multi-select but no with ā€œdateā€. is there an integrator for custom field?

Hello @Giuseppe_Di_Lorenzo currently that is not possible.
I recommend leaving your vote here: DATE - Custom Field Type

And here is a great update by Marie: DATE - Custom Field Type - #293

1 Like

Hi, new Asana user here. I am also perplexed by the lack of this basic Date field feature. Some explanation for why it doesnā€™t exist would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

If youā€™re going to integrate this feature you better integrate it across the entire platform and connect it to rules and to notifications and everything else. Please just donā€™t drop this feature in without it connecting or working with anything else like you have with many of your other features.

2 Likes

Would love to hear an update on this! Iā€™ve many PM tools and Iā€™ve had to pass on rolling out Asana multiple times because of this missing feature.

I am once again evaluating an organizationā€™s PM tools, and if this isnā€™t something thatā€™s going to be added soon, Iā€™ll have to pass on Asana again :sob:

Asana has always operated the same way: the release a first version and then do a follow-up to build on top of the feature. But you can wait for the field to be available everywhere before using it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1 for this feature

5 years of requests and still no custom date field :frowning:

Yes please for a custom date field.

3 Likes

Allow for a custom column with dates (not currently an option I can see) to try the completion date of a task vs. the initial due date to track tasks that are overdue. Would help to better utilize Timeline as a Gantt chart as well as current wording of ā€œStart Dateā€ and ā€œDue Dateā€ isnā€™t as helpful.

Hi @Erin_Valentine, while this feature isnā€™t available at this time, hopefully itā€™s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

Iā€™ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you!!

Hi Asana Community,

My name is Ben, and I work on the product marketing team here at Asana. Iā€™m really excited to announce that the team is actively investigating a solution for a date custom field, and we should have more updates for everyone later this year. All of these comments and feedback are so helpful, and we canā€™t wait to solve this pain point for you, stay tuned!

9 Likes

Ben, thank you for jumping in here as itā€™s been five years plus. Is asana too large to do a pre-mortem when releasing features that donā€™t offer integration fully with the platform?

Or is waiting 5+ years for a critical feature going to be the norm only after hundreds of people have commented and over 10,000 views of a thread are incurred?

1 Like

Please please PLEASE add this!! :pray:t3: :pray:t3: :pray:t3: We have hoped for this feature for a long while now. Thank you for acknowledging our dreams for a better future. I know this community would be ridiculously grateful!! Pretty please again. :pray:t3: :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Just adding my voice in to prioritize this feature. Seems like its been requested since 2017!

2 Likes

When can we have this feature? Adding a date field takes 5+ years???

1 Like

I say a lot of similar things in this comment - Keyboard Shortcut to Move a task to a specific section - #9 by Zane_Bartlett

but again, I do just want to say I greatly appreciate whenever I see updates before the feature is released, like this, when possible.

I understand there is a fine line to balance so that customers are not made more upset planning around mentions like this and something happens to the ETA of the feature. I do tend to think Asana is a bit too conservative with what they share about future updates though, but I see communication like this as an attempt and somewhat of an acknowledgement of the frustration seen on these feature requests forums.

Please donā€™t let people who say this isnā€™t enough, or still upset by these announcements be proof that they arenā€™t worth doing! I donā€™t think yā€™all should stop here, but I understand being careful in shifting the culture of transparency in development. Again, Thank you for the update!

1 Like