Custom fields date format

I’m looking to sort a project based on a certain date. Any way to add a date format to the custom field?

14 Likes

Right now you only have text, number and dropdown. What about typing the date in a text field?

2 Likes

If you’d like to vote for this feature, @Aron_Berger, you can do it here:

28 Likes

Thanks for your reply. The issue is that I don’t have an option right now to sort it by the old to new date.

If there is a way to add it. Please let me know.

ARON

1 Like

If using the date format “2017-12-20” then sorting alphabetically is actually sorting by date (little developer trick :stuck_out_tongue: )

10 Likes

Impressive hack @Bastien_Siebman!

1 Like

I have the same issue.

1 Like

Has this still not been fixed?

7 Likes

Testing asana now and it is simply appalling that this has not been addressed…
Smartsheet has had this for years… Might have to find a different solution…

5 Likes

I’m organising a complex editorial calendar and need clear dates for each part of the process. Either I need to be able to add four date fields, or be able to customise the generic ‘due date’ field so I can specify which due date that is. Can you advise? I’m paying for premium so really expect more format options for fields beyond drop down/text and number. Thanks!

5 Likes

Your only solution at the moment is to use a text field as a date field… If you use the YYYY-MM-DD format, sorting alphabetically will sort chronologicaly.

1 Like

other project management systems make it convenient where in a custom field, you can choose to have a calendar to choose a date, and customize the field name. from the variety of discussions on this, it looks like it’s in demand. hopefully asana can implement this soon.

13 Likes

Did you find a better solution?!?!

@Devin_Egger you are right. I am confident a Date custom field is coming, we have to wait a bit more :hugs:

2 Likes

the lack of a simple date type on a field on a project management tool is baffling… monday has 35 different field types you can choose from. asana has 3.

6 Likes

+1 for a custom date field.

5 Likes

Voting for adding the option to make a custom field a date format. We want to add and sort dates beyond the due dates.

4 Likes

A custom date field will allow us to separate Due Date from Completion Date. For e.g.: I may have a task which I want to follow up on Thursday Nov 5, however it is schedule to complete on Dec 31.
This where I would like to see Due date separated from Completion Date. If this is a custom field then I can use it for some other use cases too.

6 Likes

My use case for a custom date would be to differentiate between the due date (which is a standard field in Asana) and the date I want to really complete the task. In my opinion these are different dates and in the reality of my work day I have dozens of task which I can’t complete for whatever reason. So I start shifting the due dates of these tasks with the danger of missing an actual deadline. The best solution would be something like a “planned completion date” which could be weeks or days ahead of the due date. The start date in Asana also doesn’t do the trick, because it is difficult to shift, you can’t apply a filter (e.g. for a list of daily tasks) and also changing the start date would mess up the timeline history. The ideal solution would be a standard Asana field “planned completion date” as mentioned above. And the icing on the cake would be if this date shifts to the next day when it is overdue. I can’t count the hours I spend manually shifting dates :wink: Or maybe someone has a practical workaround for this problem?

2 Likes

Come on! Add this simple feature.

10 Likes