Custom Date Field Needs Start / End Date Range Support

Really excited to finally have the ability to create custom fields with Date information. That said, would love to be able to set a start date similar to the standard date field. And have that information be available in the timeline/ calendar views.

I see us using this for the various “Stages” of a project that might last several days and our sub-tasks are tied up already that I cant use them for this.

5 Likes

If you want start date-end date, why not use two Date fields?

Custom fields historically don’t show up on those views indeed.

Two date fields just seems like a lot of clutter… My thought was to use these for the phases of a job, that are not typically consecutive so breaking the date range up would be helpful.

IE. Phase 1: Sep 3-6 Phase 2: Sep 16-18 Phase 3: Nov 9-12

Having them show up on the timeline would be a must then.

1 Like

I agree. Some projects need two date ranges and having 3 different date fields is cluttery! Hoping they can add the date range function to the date field as well! It makes it difficult for our team (healthcare and all the observances we have to enter) to have our calendar work for us. Our due date is not a range. Even if we could re-name the due date field that would be helpful!

3 Likes

Any update on supporting supporting:

• Custom dates being an option for timeline filers
  • Custom date field having start + end date

The use case : If we are limited to only 1 “Due Date” column that shows up in the timelines, we cannot share tasks across teams with accurate timeline views because, the different teams have different timelines they care about.
i.e. Creative timeline (to build the assets) vs. Execution timeline (to go live with the assets).

2 Likes

I would love to see a start date added to the custom field date option with the hope that I could use this on the Timeline.

I really want to love the Timeline feature, but I find it annoying to manage tasks with My Tasks while having a date range. I have a strong preference for updating my task due date every time I need a reminder on the next step (rather than assigning each sub-task to myself with a date). But this means that my Timeline never reflects the proper date range. It would be ideal to add this other custom date field to show the actual time period required for the work, without it interfering with My Tasks.

3 Likes

Is there any update on this?

I would also love to see this supported.

I would also love the ability to have start and end dates on the custom date field. It helps

Take my vote!

Another use case:
I use a board to help track Holidays and Observances and it would be very nice to have a custom date field that is representative of when the holiday or observance occurs (which is not necessarily a due date) I.e., Native American Heritage month takes place for the entire month of November and I would love to be able to select November 1st as the start date and November 30th as the end date.

I’m with @Bastien_Siebman on this one. I don’t understand why everyone doesn’t simply use two Date type custom fields instead?

Besides, these date fields will not (currently) reflect in Timeline, Gantt or Calendar view so it doesn’t really matter if additional start and end dates are captured in Date fields.

The most useful date field is clearly the native Due date (and start date) so that should be used for the primary purpose of your tasks. :wink:

But due date is a very opinionated date field in that it’s called DUE date. I would imagine most people who use it (like my team does) as when a certain task needs to be completed by the person it’s assigned to. There would be great use cases for date custom fields to have similar functionality or even expanded functionality. It just doesn’t make sense to not have those options on the custom field. They should be available in the other views. It’s asinine that the date custom fields aren’t included in the other views.

1 Like

Completely agree. I would love to have a date range to use for when an ad is running… obviously the due date would be prior to that, and it would be helpful to see that date range in a calendar.

1 Like

Absolutely agree, I’m using this for planning and construction projects which can go on months so a date range is a great tool to have. Also, subtasks showing up on a calendar.

Upvote on this. Need a date range field. Monday.com has it and it works great in timeline and gantt view.

Agreed. I’d like a date range field.

I second this -
Upvote on this. Need a date range field. Monday.com has it and it works great in timeline and gantt view.

Is there any update @asana-team-admin on when it would be possible to add a “date range” column option?

Asana doesn’t communicate about the roadmap, so in this case we need to wait and see. But this thread is in the right location on the forum and Asana definitely looks at it often.