CSV Importer creates identical Sections if they already exist

I’m using the CSV importer to import a set of tasks broken into multiple sections. If I import them into a project that already has those named sections, it still creates new sections (with the same name) under the existing empty ones. If I then import a second CSV that uses the same section names, I get a third set of sections in the project (which means three lots of each section name).

The CSV docs suggest this shouldn’t happen and that if an imported task uses a section name that already exists, the task will be added under that section. (https://asana.com/guide/help/api/csv-importer#gl-tips)

Steps to reproduce:

• Start with a project that has section names (all empty)
  • Import a CSV of tasks that use those same section names
  • Asana creates a second set of populated sections and leaves the initial ones empty

Browser version:
Chrome Version 78.0.3904.70 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Upload screenshots below:

Hi @danbrown, in order to investigate this further, we would need access to your CSV file and other private information that can’t be shared in the Forum for security reasons, so I would recommend reaching out to our support team with the following information:

• The URL of this conversation to save you from re-explaining everything
  • Your CSV file
  • A screenshot of your project show your existing Sections + the URL of this project

With this info, our support team will be able to either reproduce and escalate a bug to our Development team, or to tell you what you’re doing wrong and how to fix it! Sorry for not being able to help you further via the Forum with this specific issue, but don’t hesitate to reach out if there is anything else we can help with!

Thanks, I have submitted a ticket.

I was able to duplicate this really easily with a blank project and a simple CSV (with no private data) so I have shared that example.

CSV contents were…

Name,Description,Assignee,Follower,Start Date,Due Date,Type,Section/Column,Notes,Subtask of
Task One,One,
Task Two,Two,
Task Three,Three,

1 Like