Create a different structure for board view and list view

I would like to be able to set up my board view with columns that represent the status of the task, ie in progress, complete, etc.

Then, on the the list view and the timeline view, I would like to be able to organize the tasks by work stream, ie content writing, visual design, front-end development.

Currently you can only organize one way or another for all views. Being able to switch between organizational views would be spectacular.

Welcome to the Forum @Roy_Brubaker and thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

I don’t believe this is in our near term plans, but hopefully this is something we can evaluate for future improvements!

In the meantime, If you are in a Premium account, I recommend you to create Custom Fields to organize your tasks. You can learn more about it in our handy guide article: https://asana.com/guide/help/premium/custom-fields

I hope this helps @Roy! :slight_smile:

This honestly should not be monumental.

A project should have a separate sets of sections (for list view) and columns (for board view).

A task in a project should be able to appear in both a section and a column.

Sections only show up in list view, columns only show up in board view.

1 Like

Smart sheets and a few others work this way. Each “view” should serve as a different means for organizing data, not just a way to display the same data different visually

A “way to display the same date different visually” is exactly what a view is.

Splitting hairs a little here with terminology. Do you agree with my original request? It’s not clear.