Copying tasks multiple times using Assign Copies

My team size is 10-15 and I would like to assign a task to each one of them separately, currently I have to copy this task manually for each one of them. Is there anyway I can copy the task multiple times and then I can assign it manually.

Hi @Bashar_Khdair,

Does this info help you?

Thanks Ryan, I need to know how to copy a task multiple times.

Hi @Bashar_Khdair,
If the assignment to multiple people functionality from the article I linked doesn’t work for you, the only other option is to re-copy the single task and create each new task one at a time. If you’re looking for a paste functionality that’ll just keep making new tasks based on the last copy you made, there’s nothing like that.

It’s always possible too that if you talked a bit about your use case, I or others might have other suggestions.

Good luck,
Ryan

Hi @RyanE,

Thanks for your reply, well that’s what I am currently doing is copying the task multiple, however this is a time consuming especially doing it for 15+ team members and growing, what if you need to create tasks for 200+ members, there is currently no efficient way of doing this :confused:

I believe this is an important feature should be added.

Thanks,
Bashar

So have you tried the multi-assign stuff from the article? I’ll do an example here because what you’ve said makes me feel like it should work for you. My team’s not very big and we don’t tend to have duplicated tasks too often, but when we do it’s nice.

Basically you start with a task, whether a new one or one that’s been copied. Once you have the task that you want everyone on your team to work on, you click in the assignment field and then the icon of the two people in the right-hand side of the field:

Then you type in your team’s name:

It’ll confirm how many people will get it:

This’ll happen:

And you end up with this:

I’m never sure why the one empty one remains, but I typically just delete it.

Now I need to go get rid of all these tests before my team notices :slight_smile:

You can also type in individual people if you don’t want the full team, but even that still saves a ton of time.

Hope that helps, if not, more details of what isn’t working might help me come up with something else.

5 Likes

Thank you very much Ryan, that’s what I was referring to, now it’s solved! :slight_smile:

Many thanks again!!

2 Likes

Hey @RyanE when the other assignee gets a duplicated task assigned to them and mark it as complete from their end does it get completed on our end as in the one who created and assigned the duplicates to the rest of the team members?

They’re just individual duplicate tasks assigned to each person so there’s no tie-back to some other task. As the tasks are completed, I believe you could tell based on your notifications and because you created the task, but other than that I think you’ll have to check for completion.

Also i can only see one copy on my task dash when I duplicate it for the rest of the folks as well, but if I visit my team mates profiles in Asana I can see the test tasks on their profile.

@RyanE So what I mean is I see all the test duplicates that you created in one single image (the one you attached above, how do I see all the copies in a single space?

I’m not sure there’s a way to link them together after creating them other than to search for the task name or create them within a single task as subtasks first.

The subtask method is the best I can think of. Create a parent task, then create a subtask under that, then duplicate that subtask to your team. Then you can click on the parent task that you’ve assigned to yourself as a “watch all these other tasks” task. :slight_smile:

I honestly don’t use Asana as much as I used to, so there might be a better way today.

Alright, Thank you @RyanE !
Really appreciate your response :slightly_smiling_face:

@RyanE I’m learning to do this to streamline assigning tasks to my team this way and have run into a question with this:

• When I assign a task to multiple people, it always shows me as a collaborator, which means I get the notes and marked completed notifications in my Asana inbox. They can remove me as a collaborator once it’s assigned, but people forget. Is there any way around this?

Welcome, @Jim_Holland,

Could you do that yourself? (That’s what I do.) You can multi-select those tasks and remove yourself as collaborator from all with the bottom multi-select task bar.

Thanks,

Larry