Connect form field /custom field to task due date

Would love the ability for the task created by a form submission to inherit its due date from a date field in the form response. Alternatively/additionally, being able to automate a task due date in connection to a custom field would be handy.

HI @Jaqueline , this is currently possible in forms. You can add a ā€˜Dateā€™ question to your form and connect it to the Due date of the task, either a single day (just due date) or Date range (start & due date)

Not entirely clear what you mean by thisā€¦ would you like to elaborate?

Ah! How did I miss this!? Thank you!

2 Likes

Use case: we have an intake form for coupon requests where we ask the submitter for the coupon duration (start date and expiration date). The form submission creates a parent task to create the coupon where its due date is associated with the coupon start date. I have custom field for ā€œCoupon Expiration Dateā€ that is populated via form response ā€” Iā€™d like to automate the creation of a subtask to deactivate the coupon where its due date is tied to the Coupon Expiration Date custom field.

1 Like

Hi @Jaqueline , you almost made my head explode :exploding_head:

Upon 2nd read through, you could create a custom rule (Business Plan +) as per belowā€¦

In the triggers pane, scroll down to ā€˜Task timingā€™ section and choose ā€˜Due date is approachingā€™
In the actions pane, scroll down to ā€˜Create newā€™ section and choose ā€˜Subtasksā€™

(you can edit the subtask as you like, similar to a task template)

If the couponā€™s validity is the taskā€™s start & due date, then I donā€™t see why you need a separate custom date field for ā€˜Expiration dateā€™, right? Unless I have misunderstoodā€¦ :thinking:

Iā€™m mentioning this because, currently in rules, you cannot create the above rule using a custom Date field as a trigger (although it is likely coming soon). So far, this only works with the taskā€™s native due date field, so maybe you could rethink how you use the due date field in your project for these coupon tasks. :person_shrugging:

Yeah, weā€™ve figured out that workaround tying it to the due date, but it would be great if it could function independently of that. Hopefully itā€™s launched soon!

Yes, hopefully soon!

You can vote for that here: Custom date Field Rules
So I will move this topic to the tips section instead :wink:

Roger that, thank you and upvoted! :slight_smile:

1 Like