Computed Fields on Tasks

I know I am late to reply to this, but I am wondering if this has moved forward at all? I would love to be able to use Asana in this way, as well. It still feels relevant.

Hello,
Is there a way to input a custom formula that would sum custom fields across a row? I know that it will automatically sum a column where you input numbers, but I’m wanting, for example, a column that is the variance between column 1 and column 2. Is there a way to do custom formulas like that, as if it were an excel spreadsheet? Is this an option through flowsana?
Thanks!
Kelsea

1 Like

Hi,

It does not exist yet, sorry! You can add your vote to New custom field type: "Formula"
I am pinging @Phil_Seeman regarding Flowsana

1 Like

Hi @Kelsea_Nemcek! I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main feedback thread to centralize votes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Emily_Roman !

@Andrew_Szeto, @Kelsea_Nemcek, and others,

Until/if this is natively available in Asana, consider (disclaimer: I’m the creator):

@Andrew_Szeto, specifically regarding your OP and the Urgency/Impact need, consider also:

Hope one of those might help some folks,

Larry

2 Likes

+1 one for that feature :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve created 2 columns(custom fields) adjacent named as Quantity & Rate. I’ve a third column next to these two which shows the amount spent for each task by multiplying Quantity & Rate.
So, we need the ability to set a multiplication formula(And a few other basics like Addition & subtraction) when creating a new custom field. Please request asana developers to consider this as we can track the budget on each task

2 Likes

Hello @Adamya!

I’m sure @Emily_Roman will look to merge this suggestion with the following post: Computed Fields on Tasks

Don’t forget to upvote the #productfeedback

1 Like

Thanks @LEGGO! I’ve gone ahead and merged this post with the main thread. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us @Adamya!

Voted as well - a rather basic thing with a potentially enormous impact on functionality and usability. It is really a pity to not see this standard feature on an otherwise great product.

Is it at least already being discussed in the product team?

So far over 135 votes and regular posts by the forum leaders yet no actual comment on the matter itself.

Greetings

3 Likes

Is this on a roadmap?

1 Like

Any update on this?

1 Like

For example, if a filed is a choice field for story points of Fibonacci numbers - 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13… then allow the user to use the field with number featurs such as:

• Column totals - average, sum, max, min, count
  • Dashboard: In addition to the pie chart (because it still is a choice field) be able to display in the burn down chart or the or the number widget.

Hi @AdamTerrey :wave: we already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with Computed Fields on Tasks to consolidate feedback.

Any update on this? It’s make or break whether we migrated over to Asana…

1 Like

This is very relevant, and should be prioritized!!

3 Likes

I am evaluating Asana to see how we could port our existing project tracking. We have calculated fields in excel that do date subtraction to capture elapsed time for multiple stages for reporting to our Kaizen huddle board. I don’t see any way to do this in Asana. Otherwise Asana looks great. Please add calculated fields so we can do simple things like date subtraction. We’ll wait until that’s done then re-consider. Thanks!

At the end of custom field number-columns it is possible to choose from 3 variations of number manipulation, but I would like to be able to create custom formulas within main tasks.

For example, if I have numbers in sub tasks I would like the parent task to display a specific number calculated from the sub tasks and then I would like the number at the end of the sections column to calculate based only from the numbers in the parent tasks.

It’s mainly used as a way of seeing the main tasks progression by use of a number system. ie “The % of sub tasks completed”

2 Likes

I agree! This would be so powerful and it’s gravely needed!