Calculate custom field value

We have a project to track progress of various events, including attendee numbers. Does anyone know of a way to use these custom field values and automatically update the custom field in a “Total number” task at the bottom of the project? I.e. 5 tasks with the custom field “attendee #” and then a 6th task at the bottom with the total number. Would love to have this number automatically updated after changing one of the tasks above.

5 Likes

Hi
That’s not exaclty what you want, but if you multiselect the 5 tasks, then Asana automatically sums the custom fields on the window that opens on the right.

3 Likes

Not possible yet, the sum is the only available computation and only if you multi select. I did develop something called Mathana a few years back but it never made it to production :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I would love to see this feature as well!

1 Like

With the plugin we made it much easier to to calculate tasks and points for the list and a board view https://www.boostlabs.com/improve-your-teams-agile-process-in-asana/

The plugin is open sourced so you can tune that to your needs and calculate anything.
Bug reports and feature suggestions are welcome: https://github.com/vkorobov-boostlabs/asana-counter

2 Likes

We just obtained licenses for Asana Premium and we’d love this ability to calculate story points for Scrum velocity tracking.

1 Like

Have a look at the Scrum section of The ultimate guide for doing things with Asana you might find help.

1 Like

we are looking for the ability to do basic calculations (addition and multiplication) in Asana forms. Do you offer a solution?

2 Likes

Looking for custom fields with formulas based on other fields here, too. I just came into a company which is using Asana since years and I can’t apply even any basic project stuctures, like creating a fields which combines the values in two other fields into one, so we can use this combined field for sorting our tasks. It’s just not possible. I already checked the Scrum guide and also watched the university.

Please note that it should also be possible to convert “Dropdown” custom fields into numbers if the values are numeral strings. E.g. if we have a field called Complexity and we have options like 1, 1/2, 2, 40 then those should be convertible to numbers for the formula field. See how notion.so solved formula fields which I think can be applied 1-to-1 to Asana for reference:

1 Like

Indeed does not exist. However the sum of custom fields when multi-selecting tasks is apparently coming (or already there).

1 Like

If I need to select the tasks to see the sum, it doesn’t solve my use case. What I want is to be able to use this new field for sorting my tasks. Also, a sum isn’t enough, there should be more options and a formula is the most flexible solution there. But thanks for the info anyway! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Has there been any progress since October 2018? - I also need the possibility to - within a task - calculate a custom field value “C” out of two other custom fields “A” and “B”, accoring to a formula with variuous operators +, -, *, /

No change indeed, and no indication this is coming. Given the fact that Asana is currently focusing on Marketing teams, I would not expect such feature to come soon.