Assign multiple assignees on one task

How about leave that to team?

3 Likes

My partner and I use Asana for managing our household. As a professional organiser, I also often recommend Asana to other people wanting to automate their day-to-day household chore reminders. The inability to assign multiple people to a task is a sticking point, though. The philosophy of “one task, one responsible individual” is the opposite of what I want my clients to achieve through having a shared system for tracking household tasks - the entire point of setting up such a system is to share responsibility for these.

My partner and I have worked around this by having all shared tasks assigned to me - I use the “My task” feature to plan my day, and he uses the “team calendar”, since the shared tasks don’t appear in his My Tasks. It’s a very inconvenient workaround, though. He loses the ability to arrange his tasks in his preferred order.

Creating copies of tasks isn’t really viable either, because if one of us has already done “feed the cat”, then the other one needs to know that it’s done! Ideally, the task would appear in the “Today” list for both of us, and then disappear from both of our lists as soon as it’s marked completed.

If Asana is really committed to having one assignee per tasks, it would be great to have an alternative way to make a task appear on other people’s “my tasks”. This seems to be the crux of the problem for most people here: when other people who are also responsible for the task cannot see it in “my tasks”, then it creates problems for task completion and communication.

I notice somebody above mentioned “why not use the inbox for this” - I personally get something like 50-100 inbox notifications every single day, and I really don’t need to know about 99% of them. I I’ve turned off task email notifications for the same reason. All the white noise of useless notifications prevents me from seeing the few that might actually be helpful.

6 Likes

I completely understand if you guys at Asana value individual accountability, but while this works for Asana as a company it doesn’t work for a lot of other companies. Why can’t there be a switch in “Organizational Settings” that allows the company to decide whether or not to allow multiple people to be assigned to a task. This is obviously a huge issue for many users, so in my opinion this seems like an ideal feature to include in your paid subscriptions. Seems like a no brainer to me to get more people paying to play.

11 Likes

Completely agree. I need to assign two members to a task because they are going out as a team to work on a project together. They both need to be able to follow along with every task and be able to see what has and hasn’t been done at a glance. I realize that in general projects should have one person assigned or responsible but that doesn’t work for every project, every time.

3 Likes

Ownership for a task could/should be with one person, but there are often tasks that require multiple people to input time. Yes, that could be broken into subtasks (And maybe should be) but I agree with other people’s input about letting the PM decide).

4 Likes

In a small team like ours it is important that not one person gets assigned to a task. If that person is out for even a day, the task however important it may be does not get done. If we have a project with multiple members with similar roles, or overlapping roles like in most small businesses we need to be able to assign to more than one person or to assign to a group. In this case we could assign a project to a team and then sub-assign thereafter so that no task goes unassigned. Absolutely right @Niklas: if the task does not get specifically assigned to one person, it gets assigned to no one which is not helpful. I just spoke with my assistant today who asked me about a project where she was assigned to one task. She saw the one task, opened it, and then saw the whole project. “Am I supposed to do the one task or should I start on the rest of these since I know how?” Yes, by all means start on those because I don’t want to spend 30 minutes assigning them all to you and giving the rest of the team the idea that they don’t need to work on them at the same time.

3 Likes

I also want to have multiple members assigned to the main task. I have a project board. I want to see who the main leads are on a project. I don’t need a copy of the project on the board. I also use Instagantt to see who is leading what projects. Again pulling this from one project vs creating a copy in Asana is what I need. Anyone figure a workaround?

2 Likes

I agree having the ability to a task assigned to multiple users is a key function. The solution here, probably for another feature request, would be for Asana to have the option to select multiple users to be put into a “Group”. For example, within a Team (12 users) we have multiple groups, Design (4), Engineering (6), Procurement (2), etc. Then you could assign a task to the Group as opposed to an individual.

2 Likes

I agree with @Ryan_Ruch, we have smaller teams within our office and it would be nice to assign multiple ppl and/or pre-selected teams to tasks.

3 Likes

On a project with a small team there is often overlap on a task - eg when two of the team members are working on the same task as ‘team’. Also a task to sign or approve documents by more than one person requires this task assigned to more than one person. If a status is added to show which persons on that task have completed - would be fantastic.

2 Likes

I was very surprise that this feature doesn’t exist
 no planning date yet ?

This feature is necessary, please add.

Thanks for following up, @Mika_Lozano. Would you be open to providing more information about why this is necessary for your team, and how you might use this?

We found a way around this, as there are some reoccuring tasks (Gathering Data, Monthly anaylsis, And just in general new task notification) that we need Multiple people to see, but not all be individually responsible for.
If Bob and Dave could both pull the data from the machine, assigning copies to Bob and to Dave mean that EACH will ave the task of pulling the Data, and therefor end up doing work twice. If they both are assigned to the same task, and Bob marks it as done, then Dave knows that he doesn’t need to do it.

If you are willing to pay for the additional Licenses, you can make a “Bob and Dave” user (set email settings in the email client for the new user to auto Fwd to Bob and Dave). Then just assign the “Bob and Dave” user to the task that needs to be done and either can do it.

This does have the drawback of not appearing in the dashboard, but there will be Email notifications sent about them.

Overall, Asana’s limit to “One person only” may explain their overall lack of viable customer service. Using their own tool, it is assigned to one person only, and others that could solve the problem never see it.

1 Like

This is crazy. Why are we still discussing if this is a useful feature? Obviously, there are multiple opinions and we should have a choice instead of being forced into a weird system.

+1 For multiple assign

5 Likes

As many users I was quite surprised that there is no feature for this, even worse that this was wilfully done (or by mistake then excuses made).

A simple solution would be to allow multiple people to be assigned to the same task and create an option to be able to mark some of them as accountable person or people.

3 Likes

Well, I think that “copy task” is not a solution, because if we have 6 members involved on the same task (for example, go to X place X day), and we need to change details or add a file, copy solution forces me to add the file or change the text 6 times
 If there’s a better solution for this scenario, I’ll glad to know it.

1 Like

Please add this as a feature. Responsibility is shared among many users in many of the tasks that we create. We shouldn’t have to create sub-tasks for other responsible users to get notifications.

2 Likes

While I agree with the ideas in your post, it actually IS up to Asana. This is their product and it’s the vision they have for this product. As with all products you can vote with your dollars by not using it
 There are plenty of alternatives.

I’m not saying this to deter people from having meaningful discussions about how to make this product better and why we need change, I just want to put some perspective into the argument for those being overly aggressive about this.

Again, I WOULD like to see this functionality.

BUT, it’s like a pizza restaurant owner who refuses to serve ranch. To him
 using ranch for pizza is an outrage and he won’t have it. If that’s a deal breaker
 go to a different pizza place that serves ranch?

Now, if I REALLY like that pizza I might beg that owner to change his mind and give him all kinds of reasons why ranch is delicious on pizza. He may change? Who knows
 But if he doesn’t, it isn’t the end of the world. I can either eat somewhere else, take it to go, or do without.

There are PLENTY of ways to get around this from @ mentions to copying to reminder tasks for others, to sub tasks, etc etc. No, none of them are EXACTLY what you want, but they work.

1 Like

We need the ability to assign more than one person to a task. I understand that you want to make sure that there’s a responsbile party for the task but clearly if you read almost a year’s worth of feedback from end user, you’ll see that it’s a business necessity for many to have this feature. The work-around is atrocious and I’t surprising that a year after this was requested, Asana still hasn’t made it a feature. We use Instagantt in addition to Asana and the workload feature is almost a joke if you can’t assign multiple resources to a project. Having them be collaborators is not a solution. There is no system accountability to it.

1 Like