Assign multiple assignees on one task

Ahhhh, level heads are always refreshing.

I cannot believe the length of this post, and the fact that this is not YET a feature.
We use Asana in our scrum sessions, and we often need to deal with multiple people owning the task developer and designers. It really make me want to go back to use post-it and be done with Asana.

1. Subtask are not optimal for overviewing the screen in our daily scrum. We donā€™t want to interact to each single task everyday, to see what is the situation about it.
  2. Duplicating tasks and assign to different people it makes even more ā€œclutterā€ on the board, and we are trying to keep as much essential is possible. Less is more.
  3. When we make testing, we have a column called QA, we still want to know who is the original person responsible for the task, but we want to be able to assign as well to the person that is handling the QA without losing the historial responsability.

Why donā€™t you just have visualising more people for a task, with just one that has a small crown icon on top? (or any other visual highlight) So that you know how many people are involved and who is the real owner? You still keep one taks one assinee.

Really It is just a simple improvement that is baffling, thatā€™s not being done. It is shameful that Pen and paper, are more powerful than a refined product like this.

6 Likes

Agreed. Iā€™ve been following this thread for over a year now. We love Asana, but are looking into other options because of this ONE thing.

3 Likes

Please implement this feature. To be honest itā€™s pretty silly that it hasnā€™t been added yet.

• Absolutely you can have a design philosophy that one person should be assigned to a single task, but why restrict the option of the different teams out there who may hold a different philosophy?

• Simply make it so multiple people can be assigned to any task. Allow the internal teams to manage the subsequent accountability. If someone wishes to assign two people via copy tasks etc youā€™re simply making your customers use hacky work arounds as opposed to the UI as intended.

• If you implement this feature both parties are happy. Whoever subscribes to the philosophy of a single person should be responsible for any task can simply assign one owner. Anyone who thinks that multiple people should be assigned can do so, and handle the (perceived) accountability issues internally.

3 Likes

Please add this feature to Asana. There are so many times when itā€™s not enough to have one assignee on a task.

Trello and ClickUp have both found effective ways to implement this feature. Multiple assignees allows several team members to be part of the conversation within a card or task, and ensures accountability for every action item within a task.

ClickUp in particular is nice because they allow users to enable or disable the ability to add multiple assignees to tasks at any time.

Please keep us updated on plans to add multiple assignees to Asana!

10 Likes

This is majorly inefficient. Why couldnā€™t you make it so there is a principal and then several other people assigned to the same task? Having them as collaborators doesnā€™t do the same thing in terms of what they see as their tasks unless it is assigned to them. I have a team of 7 and sometimes 5 people are assigned to the same taskā€¦ I need that to be clear and in order to do so I have to create the same task five times? This is so obviously not what your users would want based on the feedback. This was literally the first thing I tried to do and honestly it makes me instantly want to use another service.

1 Like

Now thatā€™s common sense. Apparently the designers are lacking here.

Agreed that this is an important feature. The idea of having a primary assignee (mandatory) ā€“ the person ultimately responsible for the task ā€“ and secondary assignees (optional) who are tied to the task, would seem to satisfy both Asanaā€™s philosophy and the functionality the community is requesting here.

Hello,
I want to ask if its possible to add multiple asignees for one task? If a memeber is added as a folower - the teask is not visible on the calendar.
Please advise.
Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi @Bite! Thatā€™s not possible at the moment, but Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with Assign multiple assignees on one task to gather all feedbacks on one post! Feel free to vote on this thread :wink:

1 Like

Is it possible to assign to task more members or whole team so everyone of them will see the task in theirs ā€œMy Tasksā€ section ?
Exampleā€¦ if I have task with some general info which is updated on some basis and I need 40 different users to have access to this info and updates my only option now is to create 40 tasks and assign each to individual member. Problem is with updating the info - I have to copy new info into each task.

Any suggestions how to solve this ?

1 Like

Hi David

Itā€™s not possible to assign a task to multiple users. This is based on accountability, so itā€™s clear exactly whoā€™s responsible for completing a task. However, you can add multiple collaborators to a task, so they each get a notification when the task has been altered or updated.

Hereā€™s some more info in case you need it:

1 Like

You can actually assign copies using the icon on the right. But it remains only copies, not the same task.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a cool feature. I never noticed that.

1 Like

Hey Guys,
Hey Community,

looking for a way to create a task for two teammembers. Can see that yet. Cant imagine that this is really missing? I found copy task, but i want to share a task for 2 like said beforeā€¦

Greets

Lars

This is against Asanaā€™s vision Why one assignee?
You can assign a task to multiple person but that will actually assign copies. You can assign subtasks of a task.

Bastien
Asana Certified Pro, consultant, author and developer

2 Likes

Hi guys, we already have thread for this question, so just merging this post with Assign multiple assignees on one task - #110 by Bite

2 Likes

Is there still no way to assign two people to a task? This thread has over a year of requests to add this feature! Shortsightedā€¦Any update?

1 Like

I donā€™t have an update at the moment @William_O_Donnell but Iā€™ll make sure to keep you posted if I hear anything different in the future!

1 Like

Kaitie - please let your team know that lack of this feature is a deal breaker for our company. We were just getting ready to purchase Asana when we realized in our test that you canā€™t assign multiple people to the same task. The way you have it set up with multiple copies of the same project where you canā€™t have a group chat is no good at all. You need multiple people assigned to the same task with a ā€œTask owner (or owners)ā€ and ā€œParticipantsā€.