API posted html_text has disappeared from tasks

For the past 2 years we’ve been posting stories to Asana tasks using the web api.

This morning we noticed that all of the data were we posting has disappeared from all of the tasks (one per week) when the tasks are viewed in a browser or in the Asana desktop app. However, the data shows if we view the tasks on either the Android or iPhone app.

We’ve traced the issue to Asana’s interpretation of the

    tag.

    If we post, for example:

    {“data” : { “html_text” :“Using ul only:\n

      item 1
      item 2
    ”}}

    then we see:

    But we if post:

    {“data” : { “html_text” :“Using ul and li:\n

    • item 1
    • item 2
    ”}}

    then we see:

    Finally, if we post a combination of both:

    {“data” : { “html_text” :“Using ul and ul with li alternatively:\n

    • item 1
      item 2
    • item 3
      item 4
    ”}}

    then we see:

    We’ve updated our code to use the

  • tags along with the
      tags though, strictly speaking, they aren’t necessary.

      However, because we did not use them previously we cannot see any of the stories in prior tasks.

Updating to code to code blocks

{"data" : { "html_text" :"<body>Using ul only:\\n<ul>item 1</ul><ul>item 2</ul></body>"}}

{"data" : { "html_text" :"<body>Using ul and li:\\n<ul><li>item 1</li></ul><ul><li>item 2</li></ul></body>"}}

{"data" : { "html_text" :"<body>Using ul and ul with li alternatively:\\n<ul><li>item 1</li></ul><ul>item 2</ul><ul><li>item 3</li></ul><ul>item     4</ul></body>"}}

Welcome, @JT_Shyman,

Is there a reason none of your examples use the recommended markup (see <ul>: The Unordered List element - HTML: HyperText Markup Language | MDN):

<ul>
  <li>item 1</li>
  <li>item 2</li>
  <li>item 3</li>
</ul>

The above markup, and your middle example, are the only ones I would expect to work reliably, I think.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like